What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks hotsauce. I'm giving it another day or so. I've currently been "up" without issue for roughly 24 hours. The longest stretch yet; however, my node is showing as connected via wifi even though I have it wired via Ethernet on the WAN port. It's been like this since the last reboot just over a day ago. That part doesn't make any sense to me. Seems like Ethernet for the backhaul would be ideal, so no clue as to why it's reverted to a wifi backhaul. Speeds all seem to be adequate, however my ping to my usual gaming server has gone up from about ~75ms to 90ms. Steady 90ms for the past week when everything's working. Speedtest.net is reporting an average of 95Mbps on a 100Mbps connection. It usually pegs at 100Mb, so not sure what's happening there. This is switching from an RT-AC66U to an RT-AC68U.

I'm going to leave it alone and see what happens. If it starts acting flaky again, I'll likely get frustrated enough to just revert back to router/AP. Really hoping they get this sorted.

Anybody else with wired backhaul seeing it revert back to wifi with setting at "auto"? Tried switching it to Ethernet in the "more config" section, but had a lot of problems. Left it at "auto" when I did the last reset on the node, but even though it showed as wired, it eventually went back to wifi.

We got all the same problems, check this uptime sheet, thats shows for how long I had the connection off,

If you want to use it:

https://my.pingdom.com/

1 monitor free, 50 monitors free:

https://uptimerobot.com

TQeLoJ0.jpg

I managed all the nodes to WIRED but even with this the two nodes shows that they are connected by WIFI too, I dont know if it´s a error or if they are really connected to the main aimesh router, maybe the wifi drops happens because of it
Let´s wait for a new FW or a merlim version of it...

We got all the same problems, check this uptime sheet, thats shows for how long I had the connection off,

If you want to use it:

https://my.pingdom.com/

1 monitor free, 50 monitors free:

https://uptimerobot.com

TQeLoJ0.jpg

I managed all the nodes to WIRED but even with this the two nodes shows that they are connected by WIFI too, I dont know if it´s a error or if they are really connected to the main aimesh router, maybe the wifi drops happens because of it
Let´s wait for a new FW or a merlim version of it...

Your setting is "Auto" and Use WIRED connected, the nodes still shows as "WiFi", am i correct ?
Have any switch between main and nodes ? If yes, i suggest change the setting from "Auto" to "Ethernet". Because there are some switch will blocked the management packet between Main and Node.

Your setting is "Auto" and Use WIRED connected, the nodes still shows as "WiFi", am i correct ?
Have any switch between main and nodes ? If yes, i suggest change the setting from "Auto" to "Ethernet". Because there are some switch will blocked the management packet between Main and Node.

No switchs, just one main router as an AIMESH, then in the port 2 one cable cat6a to node 1, port 3 with another cable to node 2 and port 4 with another cable to node 3
All with ethernet selected, no auto.

The only thing that is in auto is the channel of the wifi

Last edited:
No switchs, just one main router as an AIMESH, then in the port 2 one cable cat6a to node 2, port 3 with another cable to node 2 and port 4 with another cable to node 3
All with ethernet selected, no auto.

The only thing that is in auto is the channel of the wifi

Main Router (Port 2) <-- Wired --> Node 2
Main Router (Port 3) <-- Wired --> Node 2
Main Router (Port 4) <-- Wired --> Node 3

According you have two ports connected with Main Router in Node 2, have you use WAN port (Node 2) to connect with LAN port (Main Router) ?

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035140

Agree. I am getting close to puting it on the shelf also. It worked better 2 releases ago. I have switched backed to AP mode on the main mesh router and I am running it and the node only for WiFi (no dhcp, vpn etc.), I have reset everything and went from 2 nodes to 1 and the node still goes offline at least once a day.

UPDATE:

Up for over a day with no disconnects or errors.

My system us 3 68U routers.

First is runing Merlin setup as the internet connection, dhcp server, vpn server, etc.

2nd is the AIMesh main router setup as access point back to the Merlin router. The only configuration changes I made was to manually setup to AP mode, setup WiFi names and security and enabled ssh.

3rd is my AIMesh node.

I completely reset both AIMesh routers yesterday (NVRAM erase then factory reset). Since then it seems to be working.

Would love to switch my main AIMesh router to router mode and redeploy the Merlin as an additional node but I will wait for the stability issues to be better understood and corrected.

For now at least AIMesh seems to be working in this simple confgiguration.

Let's see how long it remains stable.

UPDATE:

Up for over a day with no disconnects or errors.

My system us 3 68U routers.

First is runing Merlin setup as the internet connection, dhcp server, vpn server, etc.

2nd is the AIMesh main router setup as access point back to the Merlin router. The only configuration changes I made was to manually setup to AP mode, setup WiFi names and security and enabled ssh.

3rd is my AIMesh node.

I completely reset both AIMesh routers yesterday (NVRAM erase then factory reset). Since then it seems to be working.

Would love to switch my main AIMesh router to router mode and redeploy the Merlin as an additional node but I will wait for the stability issues to be better understood and corrected.

For now at least AIMesh seems to be working in this simple confgiguration.

Let's see how long it remains stable.

May i know which merlin FW version you used before ?

I have 2 ac68u. One router aimesh, one node through wired connection.
Besides the similar unstable behavior and the node disappearing as many people have(edit: stabilized by removing in between switch) i had following behaviour which i did not understand:

I turned the node off to reboot using the power button to test sth. At that moment ALL my network devices disconnected from Internet, also te ones wire connected to the main router and switches in my network.

I was expecting that i only turned off the node extra wifi cover area.

Second observation:
The Asus app keeps telling me there is new firmware when though the old and new number look the same. Could not update through the app so went to Web ui and pushed check ( same showing of both ac68u using latest in my opinion) but still got the update button. Pushed update and after that the node dissapeared.
Shows in the device list on web ui, it transmits wifi, but through the node no internet and not visible in aimesh node. (Shows 0)

Last edited:
My Merlin router is running one of the 384 betas.

Prior to AIMesh I was running DD-WRT for all.

I don't have any 384 beta, so that's not what you were running.

I have 2 ac68u. One router aimesh, one node through wired connection.
Besides the similar unstable behavior and the node disappearing as many people have, i had following behaviour which i did not understand:

I turned the node off to reboot using the power button to test sth. At that moment ALL my network devices disconnected from Internet, also te ones wire connected to the main router and switches in my network.

I was expecting that i only turned off the node extra wifi cover area.

Second observation:
The Asus app keeps telling me there is new firmware when though the old and new number look the same. Could not update through the app so went to Web ui and pushed check ( same showing of both ac68u using latest in my opinion) but still got the update button. Pushed update and after that the node dissapeared.
Shows in the device list on web ui, it transmits wifi, but through the node no internet and not visible in aimesh node. (Shows 0)

FW upgrade notify issue will be in next release.

@arthurlien, can different countries' ASUS routers be combined in a Aimesh network? In particular, if I combine a Japanese RT-AC86U and an American RT-AC88U with ethernet backhaul, I'd like to know if W53 and W56 DFS bands would work? Would there be any conflicts created or would the American router automatically know not to choose any of the bands not supported by the Japanese one?

@arthurlien, can different countries' ASUS routers be combined in a Aimesh network? In particular, if I combine a Japanese RT-AC86U and an American RT-AC88U with ethernet backhaul, I'd like to know if W53 and W56 DFS bands would work? Would there be any conflicts created or would the American router automatically know not to choose any of the bands not supported by the Japanese one?

No, According to different Radio certification.

I would also like to see this. I have the node on Ethernet and never want it to fall back to wireless. If there’s an Ethernet issue I want to deal with that rather than mask it by using wireless. From what I am hearing the nodes tend to jump to wireless too much as it is.
Exactly what I want

SECURITY ISSUE: using AC88U as aimesh router, and AC86U as a node, after some configuration changes node disapears. Security problem is that by pressing "Find Mesh node" several times resets my WPA2 Wifi network to "Open System" a sets default (Asus_80_whatever) SSID. This should be completely unrelated, how could "Find mesh" mess up my main router Wifi settings??

Of course, mesh node never found.

Only after resetting both, and doing only a very simple config, Node works (until it goes offline).

Just thinking of how may I track down what is the root cause of my RT-AC88U cannot search my RT-AC68U as AiMesh node. Anyway to enable searching logs? Any command line that I may use to explore the problem?

I managed to buy another RT-AC88U and try out the configuration again.........

Both RT-AC88U can be connected together with one as AiMesh AP and the other as AiMesh node. Well, I put my RT-AC68U into factory reset using WPS switch pressed while power on method. It cannot be found using the search button.

Any ideas on what is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.