What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't good news for those of us intending to have nodes connected through MoCA. 10 Ethernet switches is still going to be less latency than WiFi backhaul. It seems wrong that this should matter.

Can you try to change the Connection Priority setting from Auto to Ethernet?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

Some good news:

I removed the gigabit switch between router and node and this makes a huge difference.
Then it also accepted ethernet priority and does not try to node wireless.

Another tip for the people who still dont know : add a node allways after a full reset and with the node only connected to the power at 1-3 meter away from the router. Then it allways finds it.
So don't put it on its intended far away position before it is connected as node.

Hope this helps some. It did not go offline anymore since i did all the above.
Have you ever tried to change the setting to Ethernet only?

Some good news:

I removed the gigabit switch between router and node and this makes a huge difference.

This isn't good news for me either. I have to have a switch between the main router and the intended node. Hopefully this issue will be fixed in a future AiMesh firmware.

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with you. It is the way it is and there are no clues from Asus we will be able to choose channels on node with an ethernet connection to router.
For a wireless backhaul there's no technical way to assign different channels.
I have set my aimesh up with wireless backhaul
instead of using same ssid, I used different ssid for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
That has given me the ability to choose channel on the aimesh router, though I do not know if it affects the node.

I also dont know if it's the best way to use aimesh as there are not much info about it.

And I also have to manually reboot my ac3100, the main aimesh router as I have not able to connect to it today.

When I access the IP for my aimesh node, I will get the following message
Untitled.png
and after I reboot my router, I noticed the following message flood the log (i also attach the syslog)
Jan 13 16:35:46 lldpd[377]: unable to send packet on real device for wds0.3: No buffer space available
Jan 13 16:35:48 lldpd[377]: unable to send packet on real device for eth1: No buffer space available​
and it seems to have crashed the webui.
not sure if it has anything to do with the recent report on how chromecast can sent large amount of data and cause issue with router.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    298.4 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
I just installed Aimesh on router and two nodes... Ethernet backhaul

This system is still acting like very early beta! Super dissatisfied

Both nodes took several tries to make them sync and be seen as a node. Then I put them in thier locations and now ones shows disconnected and won't connect even after reboot. It's not in an easy spot to get to.

ASUS needs to test waaaayyyy more internally before they put it in released FW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just installed Aimesh on router and two nodes... Ethernet backhaul

This system is still acting like very early beta! Super dissatisfied

Both nodes took several tries to make them sync and be seen as a node. Then I put them in thier locations and now ones shows disconnected and won't connect even after reboot. It's not in an easy spot to get to.

ASUS needs to test waaaayyyy more internally before they put it in released FW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

According to use Ethernet, just clarify your ethernet physical connectivity in AiMesh Router and Nodes.

The FAQ is describe how to use Ethernet backhaul.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035140

If you used some switch between, could you try change Connection Priority setting from Auto to Ethernet.
If you do everything that i suggest and it still con't work, could you send your contact info.(email) by private message ?

Is port forwarding working? I just setup port forwarding for my tablo, and it doesn't seem to be working.

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with you. It is the way it is and there are no clues from Asus we will be able to choose channels on node with an ethernet connection to router.
For a wireless backhaul there's no technical way to assign different channels.

Understand for wireless. But i configured it for Ethernet and i still have overlapping channels where i get less bandwidth (testing with speedtest) compared to setting it up as AP with its own channel so less collisions ?

According to use Ethernet, just clarify your ethernet physical connectivity in AiMesh Router and Nodes.

If you used some switch between, could you try change Connection Priority setting from Auto to Ethernet.
If you do everything that i suggest and it still con't work, could you send your contact info.(email) by private message ?

My connections are perfectly fine. The problem is AiMesh is buggy, very buggy. It took about 6 trys to get the AiMesh node to 'sync' with the router. Then when I moved it (powered down nd back up) it lost connection... just as others have had problems with. It took another 4 tires with 2 factory resets of the node for the AiMesh to successfully sync that node.

NOW the OTHER NODE is OFFLINE.

This is so much crap. The routers wre all rock solid using any firmware (stock and Merlin) for over a year and it seems ASUS has introduced many more problems which seem to greatly outweigh any benefit they could give - and I'm not even sure there is ANY Benefit to AiMesh since we still have no idea if AiMesh is doing anything different than we could already do on our own!?

I'm going to spend (waste) another hour or two getting rid of AiMesh.. thanks ASUS!

My connections are perfectly fine. The problem is AiMesh is buggy, very buggy. It took about 6 trys to get the AiMesh node to 'sync' with the router. Then when I moved it (powered down nd back up) it lost connection... just as others have had problems with. It took another 4 tires with 2 factory resets of the node for the AiMesh to successfully sync that node.

NOW the OTHER NODE is OFFLINE.

This is so much crap. The routers wre all rock solid using any firmware (stock and Merlin) for over a year and it seems ASUS has introduced many more problems which seem to greatly outweigh any benefit they could give - and I'm not even sure there is ANY Benefit to AiMesh since we still have no idea if AiMesh is doing anything different than we could already do on our own!?

I'm going to spend (waste) another hour or two getting rid of AiMesh.. thanks ASUS!

Thanks for your information,

Thanks for your information,

FYI - you're not instilling confidence when I just said we have no idea what AiMesh is really doing, if anything, in addition to just configuring it ourselves - and your response is "thanks"?

BTW - just a few min ago, the android app said the router node needed a firmware update (but build #s reported were the same as the 'update') so I let it update. That didnt help. The only chane is that now the AiMesh node that was showing 'offline' now shows online as a regular router, not AiMesh. BUT if I go to any of the 3 IPs, it redirects to the min router... so this leads me to belive that AiMesh is running on all nodes even though the router is only reporting/showing 1 Node.

Its pretty clear that it has a huge problem staying connected to its nodes and syncing when you try to install it.

ASUS has made such great routers and firmware to date, but AiMesh is really a black eye so far. You guys should have not rushed to push it out until you tested better and did debugging.

FYI - you're not instilling confidence when I just said we have no idea what AiMesh is really doing, if anything, in addition to just configuring it ourselves - and your response is "thanks"?

BTW - just a few min ago, the android app said the router node needed a firmware update (but build #s reported were the same as the 'update') so I let it update. That didnt help. The only chane is that now the AiMesh node that was showing 'offline' now shows online as a regular router, not AiMesh. BUT if I go to any of the 3 IPs, it redirects to the min router... so this leads me to belive that AiMesh is running on all nodes even though the router is only reporting/showing 1 Node.

Its pretty clear that it has a huge problem staying connected to its nodes and syncing when you try to install it.

ASUS has made such great routers and firmware to date, but AiMesh is really a black eye so far. You guys should have not rushed to push it out until you tested better and did debugging.

I feel for you, but at the same time, I don't have a problem with what ASUS is doing. It was immediately quite clear that although this is an official release of AiMesh, its still very much in beta status. I am holding off on diving in for this reason, and if you were aware of this thread before trying AiMesh, I'm sure that you were aware of it too.

@arthurlien, one thing I don't understand with this FAQ is how wireless backhaul could ever be better than wired backhaul. I don't see for the next several years any wireless protocol being able to provide the speeds of a wired backhaul at the typical distances that are likely between the main router and nodes. And wired has the additional advantage of not having not requiring its own band (for a tri-band router) or share a band (for a dual band router). Therefore, AiMesh should automatically use wired backhaul whenever it is available. There should be no need for an algorithm to compare wired backhaul speeds to wireless.

I feel for you, but at the same time, I don't have a problem with what ASUS is doing. It was immediately quite clear that although this is an official release of AiMesh, its still very much in beta status. I am holding off on diving in for this reason, and if you were aware of this thread before trying AiMesh, I'm sure that you were aware of it too.

I didnt read all 24 pages of this thread, no. The need to mark this as beta in the firmware if it is... and really, after wasting half my day F'n with this, it is definitely NOT good enough to be Beta. So far, I havent seen any AiMesh features that work correctly... My device (including 9 Wifi AC cameras) were rock-solid on the 3 routers before I put this FW on and now the router drops the all clients - every few minutes!

The need a way to reverse AiMesh node without a factory reset. Back to Merlin tomorrow!

@arthurlien, one thing I don't understand with this FAQ is how wireless backhaul could ever be better than wired backhaul. I don't see for the next several years any wireless protocol being able to provide the speeds of a wired backhaul at the typical distances that are likely between the main router and nodes. And wired has the additional advantage of not having not requiring its own band (for a tri-band router) or share a band (for a dual band router). Therefore, AiMesh should automatically use wired backhaul whenever it is available. There should be no need for an algorithm to compare wired backhaul speeds to wireless.

Depend on how to used it. if someone have some physical/environment limitation, he/she need to connect as below

AiMesh Router <--- WiFi --> RE1 <-- WiFi --> RE2 <-- Eth --> RE3
AiMesh Router <--- 5G/2G --> RE3

And I thank you and Asus for doing this! Like I said, I applaud Asus for even attempting to add this feature both to the lastest routers and even some of the older. Mesh topology is the wave of the future - and the fact you folks not only have dedicated products but are willing to put the time and effort into adding this to older routers is admirable. I would always recommend Asus routers - based on all your support and features.

One idea and I may be off base. Just a thought. I noticed when I did have AiMesh running, my node showed up as IP 192.168.1.183.

Since one of the areas that seem to cause issues is anyone changing the DHCP address range and/or assigning static...

Why not reserve the first 10 IP addresses for AiMesh? Typically 192.168.1.1 is reserved (in a sense!) for the main router. I would recommend you reserve 192.168.1.1 to 192.1.10 for the exclusive use of AiMesh.
You could then allow users to limit ranges above 192.168.1.10 and also allow static in this upper range.
Frankly, uses that don't change defaults would never notice - and those of us that want to modify/engineer our internal network would likely be fine with leaving the firs 10 address alone.

Just a thought...
The idea is good but only work when it work as the DHCP server, our Aimesh run as AP/node and there is a standalone DHCP server

Some good news:

Another tip for the people who still dont know : add a node allways after a full reset and with the node only connected to the power at 1-3 meter away from the router. Then it allways finds it.
So don't put it on its intended far away position before it is connected as node.

Hope this helps some. It did not go offline anymore since i did all the above.
Do you mind tell us which gigabit switch you are using?

@arthurlien do you mind give us more details about how a switch will block the AImesh node detection, or what kind of packet in use for the management? I didn't check it (too lazy to use wireshark), guess some multicast packet?

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to change the setting to Ethernet only?

Yes i did before and it didnt help. When the (Netgear Prosafe 8 port gigabit switch GS108) was in between the router and node i got all issues many people had. Now not anymore. It never went offline anymore since then.

If you want i can test it again with the switch and let it run until it goes offline again. Practically it has to wait 2 weeks as im abroad from tomorrow and want to leave a stable system behind for the family....

I do have router and node using the same channels which does not improve throughput in my opinion, but im playing with different node locations now to get performance everywhere.

I assume fast roaming is the main benefit for aimesh. Putting the second as AP with different channel might provide less collisions or do i see this wrong ?

Will continue to use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.