What's new

Ok to extend MoCA through switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JeffL

New Around Here
I'm assuming that a segment of coax with a MoCA adapter at each end should logically be thought of as nothing more than a cat6 cable. So given that... I have a home wired network. Almost 300' away from the house I have outbuilding A (with coax running between the two). In building A I want to place a switch with a couple IP security cameras on it. I'll put MoCA adapters at both ends of this coax connecting it to my home network. Now... about 275' further from building A I have building B (also with coax running between A and B). I'd like to place MoCA adapters at both ends of this coax and connect building B to the switch in building A.

Is there any reason why this won't work? I know you can't extend MoCA distance by connecting one adapter to another (in this case using 3 adapters). But hooking two separate MoCA networks on a common switch (with 4 adapters) should be ok right? Thanks for your help!

yes, once the MAC layer packets are translated from MoCA/RF to IEEE 802.3 copper media, it's a layer 2 topic, and any Ethernet switch should work. I have my MoCA device connected to a cheap switch to support a computer, HDTV w/etherent (for Netflix), Blueray DVD and an RS232 to ethernet adapter, in the home "theater" setup. No WiFi (yeah!) needed for those devices.

I can confirm now that the setup I described above works fine. I've got a NAS sitting in building B and sending a 10GB file from the home office to the NAS that involves a total of 4 switches and two MoCA segments (with one of the switches in between) totaling nearly 600'. I'm averaging about 83 Mb/s. This is plenty for some IP security cameras in those remote sites. Very happy with MoCA. This will be a much more robust and dependable setup then wireless.

With MoCA, a decent signal strength will yield max data rate, whereas power-line IP has to degrade from noise and attenuating things on the power line ("signal suckers").

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!