What's new

old windows 8.1 phone doesn't like the 5 g wifi range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I have an old windows phone that I use to surf and post on the Webb only if I have it connected to the 5 g radio it more often than not won't connect in time usually saying, your browser didn't send the request on time. Any thoughts why greatly appreciated?

I also have a Windows Phone 8.1.2 a Samsung Ativ S and 5G works greate on that device.

I also have a Windows Phone 8.1.2 a Samsung Ativ S and 5G works greate on that device.
I don't think that the problem is with my phone which is why I'm reaching out. Although the problem is worse with the phone as apposed to say my windows pro 6 tablet I still find it takes longer to get there than the 2.4 g radio.I might try picking a particular band like 7 or an obscure band.I'll do a local scan and pick the least used band / frequency, or whatever it's called and see what happens.I'll post my results if anyone else is interested.Thanks for your reply rgds Roy

1.) What is your signal level reported by the phone when having issues?
2.) What is your signal level reported by the AP when having issues?
3.) Are you using a DFS channel?

My guess is the phone has a less than optimal RF setup and the signal isn't strong enough one way or another.

1.) What is your signal level reported by the phone when having issues?
2.) What is your signal level reported by the AP when having issues?
3.) Are you using a DFS channel?

My guess is the phone has a less than optimal RF setup and the signal isn't strong enough one way or another.
I am not sure what you mean by DFS channel the signal on my phone will show full bars if I am in the same room and not sure how to check the AP signal strength.One thing I should mention is that I changed the battery on the phone years ago and as it's not an easily changeable battery I had a bit of trouble getting it out.After that the WiFi and Bluetooth signal strength went to crap but as I mentioned as long as I am in the same room as my router I get full bars

I am not sure what you mean by DFS channel the signal on my phone will show full bars if I am in the same room and not sure how to check the AP signal strength.One thing I should mention is that I changed the battery on the phone years ago and as it's not an easily changeable battery I had a bit of trouble getting it out.After that the WiFi and Bluetooth signal strength went to crap but as I mentioned as long as I am in the same room as my router I get full bars

It mean you shall not use the DFS CHs on the 5GHz band, only use the NONE DFS CHs.
So you dont use the CH from 52-144 and also do not use the AUTO settings.
As it is a old phone you could go for one of the CH 36-48 at 5GHz band at the 20MHz CH width and CH 38 or 46 at the 40MHz CH width, on your router setting.

On the 2.5GHz band set the CH 1, 6 or 11 and 20MHz CH width on your router settings.

So here is a quick reference guide to referencing the 5 GHz Wi-Fi channels

1000w

Last edited:
It mean you shall not use the DFS CHs on the 5GHz band, only use the NONE DFS CHs.
So you dont use the CH from 52-144 and also do not use the AUTO settings.
As it is a old phone you could go for one of the CH 36-48 at 5GHz band at the 20MHz CH width and CH 38 or 46 at the 40MHz CH width, on your router setting.

On the 2.5GHz band set the CH 1, 6 or 11 and 20MHz CH width on your router settings.

So here is a quick reference guide to referencing the 5 GHz Wi-Fi channels

1000w
Ok thanks for your tips I'll give it a burl cheers

After that the WiFi and Bluetooth signal strength went to crap but as I mentioned as long as I am in the same room as my router I get full bars
The signal strength that the phone sees is just one part of the story. You need to understand how well the phone can talk back to the AP/Router. If there was damage done to the antenna, it is "possible" that even though the phone can hear the AP, the AP can't really hear the phone trying to talk back.

The signal strength that the phone sees is just one part of the story. You need to understand how well the phone can talk back to the AP/Router. If there was damage done to the antenna, it is "possible" that even though the phone can hear the AP, the AP can't really hear the phone trying to talk back.
Well that makes sense I thought that the phone probably is the culprit due to the damage I must have done to the Ariel.I just couldn't understand why I was getting full bar's on the phone but still having trouble talking to each other.Thanks for your insight , I dont know why I haven't just thrown this phone out.It doesn't have a sim card in it as I don't use is as a phone per say and Microsoft have stopped support for 8.1 phones ages ago but I just find it handy to google stuff and of course read and post on SNB thanks again