What's new

Ooma AC-RT87u Gigabit WAN not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thewhizeguy

New Around Here
I have an Asus AC-RT87u. I replaced a Linksys WRT1900AC because I recently got gigabit fiber service. With the WRT1900AC I could get speedtest around 500Mb/s but with the AC-RT87u, I got a high of 780Mb/s.

Here's the problem, Ooma telco was behind my router, worked fine w Linksys router. Now it flashes red and can't find connection on Asus router. It's getting IP, it's can't find its servers. I found numerous posts with suggestions, only thing that helped was to turn NAT acceleration or HW acceleration off. This worked. Problem is with HW acceleration off, I can only hit max 350Mb/s WAN speed due to RT87u cpu utilization hitting 100%.

I was on latest firmware, also rolled back to 62_1 firmware to no avail... Is this an Ooma firmware issue or bug in the Asus firmware ?

If turning off hw acceleration is the only solution, I'm going to have to go back to the Linksys router...

I have an Asus AC-RT87u. I replaced a Linksys WRT1900AC because I recently got gigabit fiber service. With the WRT1900AC I could get speedtest around 500Mb/s but with the AC-RT87u, I got a high of 780Mb/s.

Here's the problem, Ooma telco was behind my router, worked fine w Linksys router. Now it flashes red and can't find connection on Asus router. It's getting IP, it's can't find its servers. I found numerous posts with suggestions, only thing that helped was to turn NAT acceleration or HW acceleration off. This worked. Problem is with HW acceleration off, I can only hit max 350Mb/s WAN speed due to RT87u cpu utilization hitting 100%.

I was on latest firmware, also rolled back to 62_1 firmware to no avail... Is this an Ooma firmware issue or bug in the Asus firmware ?

If turning off hw acceleration is the only solution, I'm going to have to go back to the Linksys router...
62 is super old. have you installed the latest 65 or 64

Service Ports
Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:

UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-30000, TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443.

Last edited:
- If you set up a VPN client, make sure you exclude the Ooma via Policy based routing (Ooma sets up it's own VPN)
- On the 87U, if you have the Ooma plugged into port 1, try a different port (port 1 has some 'special' characteristics).

Hate to say this, but moving from a WRT1900ac to an RT-AC87U isn't an upgrade, it's a downgrade for wireline and wireless performance.

If you still have the WRT, try Kong's DD-WRT branch - few folks have tried that firmware and have been very happy with it.

Properly set up - the WRT is the better device compared to the AC87U...

I was on the latest firmware... ie. 65_2. I only rolled back to 62_1 because I read in another thread that SIP may be broken on firmware beyond 62_1.

I am not running any VPN on the 87u...

I've also put my Ooma telco on DMZ so all ports should be open to internet but that did not work either.

I'm currently only using port 3 of the 87u which is then connected to a switch which then connects rest of home.

only reason why I wanted to get 87u working was the WAN to LAN speed seems to be faster than the WRT1900AC, however, I'm slowing coming to realization that Asus cheats with "hw acceleration" which creates more problems than its worth, and with it off, the WAN to LAN speed is somewhere around 350Mb/s which is even slower than the WRT1900AC which doesn't seem to use hw acceleration

guess i'm going to have to fork out for an x86 machine and pfsense if I want to maximize my gigabit fiber connection... sigh