What's new

OpenVPN 128GCM vs 256GCM Speeds On Hardware Accelerated Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

When running OpenVPN on a router with hardware acceleration for OpenVPN (like the RT-AX86U for example) would there be a difference in maximum VPN speeds if one used 128GCM instead of 256GCM for example? Any info I've found so far talks about non hardware accelerated benchmarks but I'm not sure if that applies to hardware accelerated routers too.

Thanks,
Harry

When running OpenVPN on a router with hardware acceleration for OpenVPN (like the RT-AX86U for example) would there be a difference in maximum VPN speeds if one used 128GCM instead of 256GCM for example? Any info I've found so far talks about non hardware accelerated benchmarks but I'm not sure if that applies to hardware accelerated routers too.

Thanks,
Harry

Lower encryption levels will almost always be faster. As far as how much on that model, you'd just have to try it and see.

would there be a difference in maximum VPN speeds if one used 128GCM instead of 256GCM for example?

No matter what you play with you won't be able to exceed about 250Mbps even in ideal conditions.