What's new

Openvpn - Decrypt Error?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lazmo88

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I am currently trying to troubleshoot very strange issue with Asus AC87U and Openvpn server running on latest Merlin FW.

Clients are either Android TV boxes or Android mobile devices, all are using following ovpn client:

Issue is, streaming is very very very laggy even tho speedtest via VPN gives 10-20MB constantly.

Router running the VPN is connected to internet via 4G modem (Huawei).

Client logs displays following error:
22:50 AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #64077 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

I am not sure if above is related to the issue or not, another suspect could be MTU values as it is 4G connection after all... And above error is associated with MTU issues.

Any ideas what could be causing these issues and what could be done to fix it or troubleshoot it further?

What does a google search turn up relative to the error messages?

What does your ISP say about your download issues?

What does a google search turn up relative to the error messages?

What does your ISP say about your download issues?

Google search returns results pointing to the MTU issues. We don't have an issue with ISP when streaming directly from the LAN, it only happens when you are connected via Openvpn server. Which makes it strange as openvpn server is using default settings, there's no MTU config specified separately.

If it makes any difference, we are using following client: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn

Hello, I am currently trying to troubleshoot very strange issue with Asus AC87U and Openvpn server running on latest Merlin FW.

Clients are either Android TV boxes or Android mobile devices, all are using following ovpn client:

Issue is, streaming is very very very laggy even tho speedtest via VPN gives 10-20MB constantly.

Router running the VPN is connected to internet via 4G modem (Huawei).

Client logs displays following error:
22:50 AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #64077 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

I am not sure if above is related to the issue or not, another suspect could be MTU values as it is 4G connection after all... And above error is associated with MTU issues.

Any ideas what could be causing these issues and what could be done to fix it or troubleshoot it further?

Hi,
While using OpenVPN server, I have sometimes the same error messages in syslog. I am not using 4G modem, just the classical ISP phone wired connexion .... most client are W10 or W8.1 PC's, sometimes on Android phone.
I am on RT-AC87U with Merlin 384.13_1 as well.