What's new

OpenVPN initializing forever

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FYI, this happened to me again after updating to 384.14. Is this something that will happen on every upgrade? Having to factory reset the router every update seems less than ideal...

My guess is that the NTP isn't synced.

Log into the router and click system log. Is the system time reporting correctly? If not, VPN will not work until time is correct.

I sometimes find my NTP (time) doesn't sync after firmware upgrade which requires me to pull the power from router and turn back on.

FYI, this happened to me again after updating to 384.14. Is this something that will happen on every upgrade? Having to factory reset the router every update seems less than ideal...
Are you running one of your servers on Port 443 TCP as well as running Diversion?

My guess is that the NTP isn't synced.

Log into the router and click system log. Is the system time reporting correctly? If not, VPN will not work until time is correct.

I sometimes find my NTP (time) doesn't sync after firmware upgrade which requires me to pull the power from router and turn back on.

I checked it and the time seems fine. The VPN actually works and I can connect to my home network from my phone without any issues.

The spinner means something isn't going right. ( I know, duh). I've had it happen:
  • when I specified a --connect script that didn't exist
  • when the --connect script wasn't marked as executable
  • when I had a static key included in the certs that I didn't use
  • when both pixelserv and vpn wanted to start on port 443
  • when I had copied certs from one vpn to the other
  • when I had a static key already and specified tls static
  • when I didn't have static key already but copied certs and then specified tls static
I don't think this is hardware, but the 86U is definitely trickier than my 87u. Plus, no successful reboot from the gui, ever.

I had the same problem and the only solution for me was removing this line from the custom configuration on the Advanced Settings:

up "/bin/sh /jffs/etc/profile"

Can anyone tell me what this line does and if this can cause a problem that it's removed?

I had the same problem and the only solution for me was removing this line from the custom configuration on the Advanced Settings:

up "/bin/sh /jffs/etc/profile"

Can anyone tell me what this line does and if this can cause a problem that it's removed?
Leftover from a malware that infected your router.