What's new

OpenVPN Server and internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe post a screenshot of the Advanced options page so we can see your settings directly?

Here. Thanks for taking a look :)

489wRjt_d.jpg

Maybe post a screenshot of the Advanced options page so we can see your settings directly?

I just tried again.

I have a connection to the VPN Server from my iPhone.

BUT ... I have the original problem ... I can't access websites or the routers page on the iPhone (4G).

So I have a connection but I can't do anything with it.

@martinr, to stop the 'spinning wheel' for the OpenVPN servers, simply stop them and then start them again. :)
Thanks @L&LD, I discovered that early on when I wanted to export the config file and needed to resurrect the Export button. It doesn’t bother me at all: I’d even forgotten about it. It’ll be interesting to see if, when upgrade to .15, it also fixes it.

I just tried again.

I have a connection to the VPN Server from my iPhone.

BUT ... I have the original problem ... I can't access websites or the routers page on the iPhone (4G).

So I have a connection but I can't do anything with it.
Ave you tried exporting a fresh .ovpn file to your iPhone and deleting the current one?

Have you also looked in the logfile in the OpenVPN app on the iPhone (top right hand corner of the page)?

Edit: I’m sure Zastoff will have fixed your problem.

Last edited:
I started the OpenVPN 1 server again, took a phone call for half an hour then came back to the router again to find it with the red light on. So, even without making a connection to the server with my iPhone the ASUS router is disconnecting from the internet. When the OpenVPN Server is switched off this issue does NOT occur.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to see if a complete reset and re-installation of Merlin would help?

Ave you tried exporting a fresh .ovpn file to your iPhone and deleting the current one?

Have you also looked in the logfile in the OpenVPN app on the iPhone (top right hand corner of the page)?

Edit: I’m sure Zastoff will have fixed your problem.

Hey. See my last post.

I have started with a fresh .ovpn config file each time I make a change, and have deleted every other .ovpn config file before installing the next. I think there might be something wrong in the router itself.

Hmm does sound weird
what port does your vpn-client connect?
i have my routers vpn-server at port 1197 and routers vpn-client at 1194 (they cant be the same)

Hmm does sound weird
what port does your vpn-client connect?
i have my vpn-server at port 1197 and vpn client at 1194 (they cant be the same)

I think one was using 1195 and the other 1194

Try to change port on vpn-server and that Advertise DNS to clients=yes and make sure the phone you are testing with is not on your wifi

Try to change port on vpn-server and that Advertise DNS to clients=yes and make sure the phone you are testing with is not on your wifi

Done !!

Working well now.

I can access my routers webpage over the VPN connection. I can access websites. I can access my NAS. And so forth.

Thank you for your time. Very much appreciated.

Hopefully if others have a similar issue this thread will give them direction.

Thanks to everyone.

Okay. I got one thing wrong (I hadn't refreshed the router's UI page).

As I wrote, I can access websites, I can access my NAS and IP Cams etc but I cannot access the default gateway on https://192.168.50.1:8443 (with ir without the port number).

and if you set webUI access also to http, can you access it on Port 80?

Does syslog say what the problem is?

Sorry for my ignorance but I wouldn't know what to look for in the system log.

Sorry for my ignorance but I wouldn't know what to look for in the system log.
That makes two of us! I was thinking you could try to access the WebUI and then immediately afterwards and see if there is anything obvious.

And what about accessing the WebUI on Port 80, (Admin page, System tab, Local Access Config, set to both.)?

That makes two of us! I was thinking you could try to access the WebUI and then immediately afterwards and see if there is anything obvious.

And what about accessing the WebUI on Port 80, (Admin page, System tab, Local Access Config, set to both.)?

I disabled HTTPS in the UI, and I tried to access the UI on port 80 (without the https) from my iPhone (over 4G) and it didn't work.

I did, however, realize just now that "Administration > System > Access Restriction List" needs an entry for every IP that connects to the UI. If there isn't an entry I can't even view the login page. So I assume this is the cause. I don't know how I can resolve this as I have a dynamic IP address. The DDNS address is too long to fit in it, and I'm not sure it would even work.

Okay, I resolved the issue.

In "Administration > System > Access Restriction List" I added 10.8.0.2 and 192.68.50.1 and selected UI and SSH.

I can now access the UI and use SSH when connected to the OpenVPN server!!

Okay, I resolved the issue.

In "Administration > System > Access Restriction List" I added 10.8.0.2 and 192.68.50.1 and selected UI and SSH.

I can now access the UI and use SSH when connected to the OpenVPN server!!
Great. Now it must be about 02:30 in Australia, so it might be a good time to turn off all screens and get some sleep. ;)

Great. Now it must be about 02:30 in Australia, so it might be a good time to turn off all screens and get some sleep. ;)

It's 12:30am (we're in day light savings time, so really 1:30am)

Yeah, time for sleep.

to stop the 'spinning wheel' for the OpenVPN servers, simply stop them and then start them again

The starting and stopping the server to eliminate the spinning wheel wasn't a permanent solution for me or other posters. On versions prior to 15Beta starting/stopping would buy you X number of hours without the wheel. With 15Beta I now have 28 hours without the spinning wheel. IMHO if 15B can go a week without restarting the wheels then the code has been fixed.