What's new

OpenVPN throughput speed, need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rooby

Regular Contributor
Hello

I have setup a RT-AC88U as server with internet connection: 200 Mbit down/20 Mbit up

and a client with: 16 Mbit down/2 Mbit up

With “iperf3 -c 10.0.1.2” and “iperf3 –s” (calling in putty over ssh) I get:

From client to server 1.5 Mbit which I guess is ok.

From server to client 550 kbit which is to slow because the client has even higher download speed (16Mbit, theoretically...) .

As I see neither CPU on the routers show any high load. So CPU load does not seem to be a problem, compression, encryption etc.

Does someone has any suspicion about the root cause or what tests I could make the isolate the problem?

Update: I found that disabling the "NAT Acceleration" on the client then I get 9,6 Mbit from server to client which seems ok since I do not have the full 16 Mbit download speed anyway.
Is this issue already known and can be fixed? Otherwise I would sugget to make a note in the OpenVPN tab to disable NAT acceleration.
Interesting that UDP is around 8Mbit compared to 9,6Mbit TCP. I would expect this to the opposite. (OpenVPN is configured for UDP)

Last edited: