What's new

OpenVPN - validate settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramias

Occasional Visitor
I've seen a few posts on this and my system totally works, but with frequent changes to sever and client I'm hoping somebody can do a quick validation to see if I have optimal settings. My clients are iOS and Mac with the latest Tunnelblick.

Here's my file:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote host 1194
float
ncp-ciphers AES-128-GCM
auth SHA512
keepalive 15 60
remote-cert-tls server
and then CA cert, server cert, key and tls-crypt cert and then
resolv-retry infinite
nobind

This is just to connect securely to my home Mac and windows via VNC/RDP and to a few local servers via http. I'm not traveling to China or anything. Do these settings look good? Any thing I should tune to have more optimal performance (connection time and CPU on router)?

Thanks

I do a couple of things differently. One is I use tcp, not udp, and 443 not 1194, so as to improve the chances of connecting from public sites. I still have one pesky location where I can't seem to connect, but that solved two others.

Second, my home router is set up not to redirect internet traffic, and I have two config files, one containing "redirect-gateway def1", and the other not. I use the first when I am at a public hotspot (an airport) and the other when I am at a private hotspot. That way I can use one server instance for both. The other server instance I can use for something unusual, such as a tap instance, although I don't do that anymore.