What's new

OpenVPN - WINS server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rescapind

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I have set up OpenVPN server on my N66U using Merlin build.
My client PC is connecting to the server using TUN protocol.
My client and server are on different subnet (server is 192.168.0.0; client is 192.168.2.0).
May I know how I can set up the WINS server to link the 2 subnets?
Thanks a lot.

I got it worked now.
I needed to stop and start the WINS server on my N66U.
Somehow it was not working initially.

I still need some time to verify it. It's not very stable for now. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Anyway, here is what I did:
1. Go to USB application --> Servers Center --> Miscellaneous settings --> Enable "Force as Master Browser" and "Set as WINS server" (if they are already enabled, disable it --> Apply --> enable again).
2. Go to LAN --> DHCP Server --> Key in WINS Server IP (192.168.0.1 for my case).
3. In OpenVPN settings, add in this to custom configuration:
push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.0.1"
That's it. Hope it works for you.

If you change WINS configuration, you will need to renew the DHCP leases of all your computers, otherwise they won't get the WINS IP.

This also assumes that you are using DHCP - if you you are using static IPs then your will need to manually provide the WINS IP to your client.

If you change WINS configuration, you will need to renew the DHCP leases of all your computers, otherwise they won't get the WINS IP.

This also assumes that you are using DHCP - if you you are using static IPs then your will need to manually provide the WINS IP to your client.

Yeah. I forgot to mention. I also disabled and enabled back all ethernet adaptors after the changes on router.
Ran "ipconfig -all" just to be sure too.
Things work fine so far.

Last edited:
My OpenVPN server is at 192.168.0.x.
My OpenVPN clients (TUN) are at 192.168.2.x.

The local PCs (192.168.0.x) cannot connect to the PC names in 192.168.2.x subnet. If I use IP address (such as \\192.168.2.5), it works fine.
I've already pushed the WINS server to the clients. I ran ipconfig on the client PCs and confirmed the WINS server indicating "192.168.0.1" correctly.

Did I do anything wrong?

The client PCs can connect to the PCs in 192.168.0.x just fine.

My OpenVPN server is at 192.168.0.x.
My OpenVPN clients (TUN) are at 192.168.2.x.

The local PCs (192.168.0.x) cannot connect to the PC names in 192.168.2.x subnet. If I use IP address (such as \\192.168.2.5), it works fine.
I've already pushed the WINS server to the clients. I ran ipconfig on the client PCs and confirmed the WINS server indicating "192.168.0.1" correctly.

Did I do anything wrong?

The client PCs can connect to the PCs in 192.168.0.x just fine.

I had the same issue as well but then I followed rescapind's directions to the letter and now the WINS server is showing up as being assigned to 192.111.0.1(my router's LAN ip) when running ipconfig. Unfortunately, I can't seem to ping the Windows machines in my LAN, either via Netbios name or IP address. I can only ping "ASUSROUTER" (my router's name) with responses. Would using a local DNS be advised over a WINS server?