What's new

OpenVPN with RT-AC68U but Synology Share Not Accessible

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

milkycow

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I have an RT-AC68U router with a Synology on the same LAN.
Whilst I am connected to the LAN, I can access the UNC shares from the Synology however when I connect remotely with OpenVPN, I cannot see the shares.

I can use the 192.168.1.1 IP whilst connected to the VPN to connect to the router UI and 192.168.1.2 to connect to the Synology UI but I cannot see any of the shares.

The router gateway is 192.168.1.1 and my VPN gateway setup in the OpenVPN server within the AC68U is 10.8.0.0. Subnet is 255.255.255.0 on both router and for VPN.

I feel like I am missing something simple here and really need to get it up and running.

Really appreciate any advice.

Kind Regards,
Simon

Can not *see* or can not *access* the shares? There's a difference. By see, most ppl mean network discovery doesn't work, so the shares won't auto-populate something like Network Neighborhood in Windows. But they are usually still *accessible* by explicit reference.

If they are NOT accessible, beware that many devices have a same-origin policy when it comes to access policies. You see this in particular w/ Windows. It's firewall will NOT allow access by any other *private* IP network other than the one on which it's currently running. NOT unless you update the inbound rules to permit (in this case) 10.8.0.0/24. Other devices from other manufacturers have followed suit w/ the similar policies.

Hi eibgrad,

Thank you so much for your reply :)

To answer your question, I could neither see now access the shares. I tried using the IP address of the synology instead of the UNC path Horace I think I used the wrong IP and instead selected the router rather than the synology. As soon as I used the correct IP, I can access the shares :)

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers
Simon

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!