What's new

Optimal home network setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dalgard

Occasional Visitor
Optimal home network setup? Please, this case is FUN.

I know you get a lot of these questions, but I really need some help with figuring out how to best configure my home network. I think maybe there are a couple of details in local networking I don't *really* understand... :)

These are my components:

1. ADSL modem/router (bridge mode, 5 DHPC-assigned static IP's!)
  2. Linksys E2000 Wireless-N Router (w. gigabit LAN)
  3. Thecus N0503 NAS (can be used as a full-featured Linux server)
  4. At least two laptops (connecting wirelessly)
Now... I am setting up my new NAS as both a network storage and a web server, and I would like both services to be accessible from anywhere on the internet (WAN).

I would also like it to be part of my local network in such a way that I can use it to the fullest extent as a backup drive, home media server and so forth! This is where I feel my knowledge fails me: How can I make all these devices perceive each other as being on the same local network, while in the meantime having them receive their IP's directly from the ISP?? :confused:

I simply don't know what kind of local network is achieved by having my router-modem in bridge mode and using my wireless router as an access point only - i.e. no NAT.

I suppose the network always chooses the shortest distance, and thus will connect my devices directly through the wireless access point. But will this come out the same as a LAN?

You get the picture... :)

I have been thinking about another possibility which is to use my NAS/server as a router. The N0503 actually has two NIC's - one for WAN and one for LAN - and I could easily plug the access point into the LAN port. But I think maybe the services I would need to install and the amount of processing it would need to do to work as a router, would make this solution unfeasible.

Also - using the NAS as a router would probably make my then NAT-handicapped laptops less able to use various internet services such as file sharing, right...?

A thousand thanks to whoever is able to advice me on this! :)

Last edited: