What's new

Option to enable 160 mhz Channel Bandwidth on 5ghz-2 Band missing from GT-AX11000 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hermano

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

new to the community and you all have been very helpful towards helping me not be a networking noob.

I recently bought the Asus GT-AX11000 in the hopes of upgrading my wifi system around the house and eventually build a mesh network. through the many limited amounts of reviews available online on this router, I have noticed they all have the "enable 160 mhz" option available for both 5ghz wifi bands. However, in my case, the option is not there for my 5ghz-2 band.
I am currently running firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9566 however, initially thinking this might have been a firmware related issue, I flashed older firmware onto the router. However, after that was unsuccessful at providing me with the 160mhz option, I reflashed the newest version. I have tried multiple settings including having each band as a different network name and smart connect but I am not sure what the problem is. The issue pretty much remains regardless of what I do in the wireless settings.

I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some insight or information on why this and how to potentially solve it. Please let me know if you need more information. As you all know this is a very expensive piece of hardware, id like to use it to its max potential.

2021-01-04_23-45-23.png
2021-01-04_23-44-27.png

I've looked at 2 AX routers and both of my AX92U , they only have the 160MHz available on one of the 5G radios.

Edit:

Found the long GT-AX11000 experience thread , looking at this post :

Post with images for AX11000

It looks like you need Smart Connect turned on.

Last edited:
I've looked at 2 AX routers and both of my AX92U , they only have the 160MHz available on one of the 5G radios.

Edit:

Found the long GT-AX11000 experience thread , looking at this post :

Post with images for AX11000

It looks like you need Smart Connect turned on.
THis was something i had already tried before but it still does not show the 160 mhz on my second 5Ghz band.

2021-01-05_23-21-02.png

You can have 160MHz on both 5GHz bands. You probably just need a hard reset. I had some similar issues with my GT-AX11000 after a few firmware updates. I was about to send it in for warranty repair but followed the factory recommended procedure to reset and all has been well since then.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2 | Official Support | ASUS Global

Can you please tell me what firmware you are on? roughly which firmware the issue appeared for you? I tried the hard reset as you mentioned by following the steps from the link you posted but the 160mhz for the second 5ghz wifi band still does not show for me (as you can see in the image above).

THis was something i had already tried before but it still does not show the 160 mhz on my second 5Ghz band.

View attachment 29158

Can you please tell me what firmware you are on? roughly which firmware the issue appeared for you? I tried the hard reset as you mentioned by following the steps from the link you posted but the 160mhz for the second 5ghz wifi band still does not show for me (as you can see in the image above).
What region are you in?

I am in USA and 160MHz shows up in 5GHz-2 on regular release firmware as well as beta.

What region are you in?

I am in USA and 160MHz shows up in 5GHz-2 on regular release firmware as well as beta.

I'm Canada, at least to my knowledge I should have 160hz available for use after channel 100 since the regulations are fairly similar to the US.

I am not sure why the option to enable it isn't showing up in the first place considering the router is capable. it's a different story if it or the device that connected to it can't access the frequency,

View attachment 29158

I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.384.9566 and have 160MHz enabled on both 5GHz bands. My issues started around 3.0.0.4.384.7979, since all my emails with Asus support are from February 2020. I tried using the software GUI reset without any luck. It was only after I followed those hard reset instructions that everything returned to normal for almost a year now without any major issues.

I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.384.9566 and have 160MHz enabled on both 5GHz bands. My issues started around 3.0.0.4.384.7979, since all my emails with Asus support are from February 2020. I tried using the software GUI reset without any luck. It was only after I followed those hard reset instructions that everything returned to normal for almost a year now without any major issues.

I flashed an older firmware on the router as well back from 2019, once I enabled smart connect on that firmware for just the 5 GHz bands the option to enable 160 MHz came up however the option the select 160mhz was still missing from the list. I flashed the new 9566 version again, and Hard reset the router but this time the option to enable 160 MHz disappeared once more. Some posts have said to change your region however I looked into my setting but I see no options to change regions.

I am still facing the same problem as I mentioned before. Is it possible for you to share a picture of your settings? How can I contact asus regarding this? when I click support on their site I'm taken to a FAQ

2021-01-07_16-01-44.png
2021-01-07_16-13-42.png
2021-01-07_16-13-20.png

with merlin's i have the option on both radios

I'm Canada, at least to my knowledge I should have 160hz available for use after channel 100 since the regulations are fairly similar to the US.

I am not sure why the option to enable it isn't showing up in the first place considering the router is capable. it's a different story if it or the device that connected to it can't access the frequency,

You're in Canada, they're not very similar to the USA at all. You don't have a full 160 MHz channel in the DFS part of the 5 GHz spectrum because channels 114 and 118-128 are restricted from usage by law for weather radar. The only space currently for a 160 MHz channel in Canada right now is in the congested early channels. This may change next year when Industry Canada completes their work on the 5.9 GHz band, but that'll be up to ASUS to keep up with Canadian regulations.

I am in Canada as well who has the gt-ax11000 with the 5ghz-2 160 MHz channel not showing up. is there a way to program the router to think it is in a different country?

5.2 works on my AX-1100 Pro is there a big difference between the 2 routers ? I am in Kanada , It took a while to get it working but it now works , did nothing special maybe not using 160mhz was the trick ? I set mine to 80mhz and all works .160 had such a short range I decided not to use it , I just needed 3 working radios 1 band for me the rest for the other 20 devices in the house . let me add I use Merlin 388.2-2 not stock FW

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!