What's new

Orbi system - Faulty LAN / switching design

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

superczar

Occasional Visitor
Issue - Orbi system with 2 satellites (R1, S1, S2) will randomly drop LAN communication between segments.

e.g. devices connected to S1 (both wired/wireless) won't be able to ping devices on S2 (or vice versa)
or sometimes devices on S2 won't be able to ping devices on R1 and vice versa

All devices will continue to have Internet access though.

4 years and counting yet NG haven't fixed this issue which is so blatantly bad

And it’s not just me -

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Serious-Satellite-Connectivity-Bug/td-p/1303604

I personally spent days trying to resolve it. Eventually called it a day by keeping all devices on 2.1.4.16 on which the onset of this issue is relatively delayed.
After another recurrence few days ago, decided to upgrade to 2.5.1.16 in the hope it would be fixed by now.
Guess what, the issue started to recur within 30 mins of the upgrade.

Other points to note:

- System Restart fixes the issue temporarily

- After some time, 15 mins to a few hours, the LAN comm will breakdown and require a restart again

- Occurs in both AP and router mode

- 2.1.4.16 is relatively stable and runs for weeks to a month before this starts

My guess - this has something to do with messed up / out of sync ARP tables between R1, S1, S2

Such a shame actually - Orbi is a brilliant system otherwise.

It's just appalling though that a fundamental networking bug with LAN switching would not be resolved in production firmware even after years

Hi! I have the same issue, its quite frustrating since i have many IOT devices. Did you find a solution?

As a workaround, I wired the satellites which solved at least this problem .
Eventually I just ended up switching to TP Link Omada since I had done the wiring anyway - Significantly better performance esp with roaming… and no random bugs or performance drops either

As a workaround, I wired the satellites which solved at least this problem .
Eventually I just ended up switching to TP Link Omada since I had done the wiring anyway - Significantly better performance esp with roaming… and no random bugs or performance drops either
That's a shame, but glad you found a solution. I am still tinkering with settings in an attempt to make it stable. If anybody would like to suggest settings that worked for them, that would be great.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!