What's new

[Other] Suggestion for "LED Stealth Mode"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mFeinstein

Occasional Visitor
My Asus RT-AC66U is installed on my room and when I turn the lights off to sleep it glows in the dark and illuminates the whole bedroom with it's blue smf greem LEDs.

I understand most users fix this "problem" with two ways: 1- Electrical Tape on front of the LEDs or 2- Install a third party firmware (such as Merlin) that supports "Stealth Mode".

Option #1 I don't want since this will leave glue on the front of the router after years with the tape and option #2 is not something I am willing to do right now, nothing against those great projects out there, it's just modding a router is not something I want to spend time doing right now.

So my suggestion is pretty simple: Allow for the Asus Firmware to have an option to turn off the router's LEDs.

This could be made in several ways:
  1. Provide a simple option on the Router GUI to set the LEDs "ON" or "OFF".
  2. Provide an additional option for the Router's WPS Button to function as a toggle switch for the LED's state. Currently it can be configured as a WPS or RESET button.
  3. Provide a schedule time were the LED's can be turned off after some specific hour.

I think options #1 and #2 are pretty simple to implement and should be VERY helpful, option #3 is more a "nice feature" than a "must have feature".

I believe the habilitty to turn the router's LEDs off is something that many users will benefit with and surely bring an impact on the electrical tape sales revenues unfortunately.

Option 4- Go purchase a RT-AC68U which has a button on the back to turn off the LEDs.

led.JPG

for me best way is the LED OFF scheduler

@mFeinstein ... #2 Rmerlins ASUSWRT rather than modding should be understood as making ASUSWRT coded properly. These are far superior in terms of quality, stability, functionality firmwares to ASUS's codes...

Option 4- Go purchase a RT-AC68U which has a button on the back to turn off the LEDs.

View attachment 7866

I am sorry but I don't think that button justifies the U$60 difference between the two models, specially when a simple firmware upgrade can fix it.

@mFeinstein ... #2 Rmerlins ASUSWRT rather than modding should be understood as making ASUSWRT coded properly. These are far superior in terms of quality, stability, functionality firmwares to ASUS's codes...

By no means I want to imply that Merlin's firmware is just a mod. I understand it has lots of benefits and is great, I just meant I have tons of work to do and start reading about router firmware installation isn't something I wanted to add to my list.

By no means I want to imply that Merlin's firmware is just a mod. I understand it has lots of benefits and is great, I just meant I have tons of work to do and start reading about router firmware installation isn't something I wanted to add to my list.

When it comes to installing a stable rmerlins on stock it's just
1) (suggested 99% of time) factory defaults (from webui)
2) upload firmware via webui
3) factory defaults via webui
4) set up router to your liking from webui
5) enjoy :)

When it comes to installing a stable rmerlins on stock it's just
1) (suggested 99% of time) factory defaults (from webui)
2) upload firmware via webui
3) factory defaults via webui
4) set up router to your liking from webui
5) enjoy :)

I understand, but for me the problem lies on "factory defaults", too much stuff to reconfigure...passwords, VPN Access, Personal Cloud folders authorizations, DHCP reservations....I just don't have the time right now to reconfigure all these things, specially when my router is working just fine.

It would be nice to hear back from Asus though, something like "We are evaluating this feature request you send".

But thanks anyways for the tips.

I postulate to add to GUI scheduler for Stealth Mode.