What's new

Overclock AC68U on 380.65_2?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eric Lieb

I used ssh to set my cpu to 1200 and ram at 666 (haven't tried 800 yet). But most of the posts I see how overclocking are based on older firmware. Any update (or easy guide) on how to ensure overclock works on resets?

Any update (or easy guide) on how to ensure overclock works on resets?
Nothing changed since long time: You have to use service-stop user script to make the overclocking sticky across reboots (as outline here).

So once I enable JFFS in the admin then with ssh I do nano /jffs/scrips/service-stop and add that in there?
Yes, the service-stop script content should look something like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# set clkfreq (due to change in CFE/NVRAM handling by ASUS)
nvram set clkfreq=1200,666
nvram commit

And do not forget to make the script executable with chmod +x service-stop

Or, you can do like I always do and read your CFE out, modify the clkfreq directly in the CFE and then re-flash it. This will persist through NVRAM resets, firmware flashes, etc....

Most RT-AC68U's I have tested will do 1.4 ghz and 800 memory, test with nvram setting it first to make sure temps are good and booting is stable. If not, hold WPS button during boot to wipe, and then try a lower value until you find max stable. Then use that value for CFE.

Values are 800, 1000, 1200, and 1400

Hi @joegreat :) I used to live in the 2nd district and the edge of the ring in the ein und zwanzing bezirk floridsdorf.

Last edited:
One warning.....don't try and modify a CFE compiled with a CPU clock value of 800 (early AC68's) to 1000 or more (you can't fit 4 chars in a 3 char space, and you can't insert a char either).

Will CFE edit do the trick to a 68U E1 which allways falls back to 100MHz when trying to overclock with nvram and scripts?

One warning.....don't try and modify a CFE compiled with a CPU clock value of 800 (early AC68's) to 1000 or more (you can't fit 4 chars in a 3 char space, and you can't insert a char either).

I run a family members AC56U with a 1000 666 CFE that was default 800 533

What performance gains are there really with bumping the ram freq from 667 to 800? I have read of instability issues but not seen any real gain. I can say with bumping proc to 1.2 from 800 my openvpn is much smoother and my ping went down on speedtests.

So, since a RT-AC1900P comes out of its box at 1400Mhz, there's no room for overclocking? Yes, No, Maybe...? Is the CPU already at its max?

Yes, the service-stop script content should look something like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# set clkfreq (due to change in CFE/NVRAM handling by ASUS)
nvram set clkfreq=1200,666
nvram commit

And do not forget to make the script executable with chmod +x service-stop
So did all these settings and chmod it but when I rebooted the router it looks like the router may be bricked? Guess I will have to try the WPS reset and see if it gets it working again.

Could this be a problem?

admin@RT-AC68R-6108:/tmp/home/root# nvram commit
usage: nvram [get name] [set name=value] [unset name] [show] [commit] [save] [restore] [erase][fb_save file] ...

Not sure why it is rehashing that when I use the commit command....

I rebooted the router and it worked fine but the clock freq was at 800 so obviously the service-stop script isnt working.

Edit:

Does NVRAM Commit do nothing anymore? I used
nvram set clkfreq=1200,666 and then checked Tools and it shows CPU Freq as 1200... I didn't used NVRam commit to test this theory.

Last edited:
I rebooted the router and it worked fine but the clock freq was at 800 so obviously the service-stop script isnt working.

Edit:
nvram set clkfreq=1200,666 and then checked Tools and it shows CPU Freq as 1200... I didn't used NVRam commit to test this theory.
Maybe you have the same issue/situation as discussed here.

When you do an 'nvram set' or 'nvram get' (write or read of nvram) it's actually operating on a copy of nvram kept in standard ram. It's not actually written to the nvram flash memory until you issue the 'nvram commit' (or the router has need to commit something else).

That's why it will show up in the gui without doing a commit, it's reading the ram copy.

You linked this thread Joe - Was ist los mit dir?

I think you meant this thread:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68-overclock-not-working.38340/

So he created a service-start script also... Is that required? The original post I used only mentioned a service-stop script

When you do an 'nvram set' or 'nvram get' (write or read of nvram) it's actually operating on a copy of nvram kept in standard ram. It's not actually written to the nvram flash memory until you issue the 'nvram commit' (or the router has need to commit something else).

That's why it will show up in the gui without doing a commit, it's reading the ram copy.

That makes a lot of sense. Also when i did nvram commit this time it didn't show me the syntax info so maybe I was buggy before (I also just updated to _4 from _2)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!