What's new

Overclock and Merlin 380.58 / AC3200 can not make it work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@FTC

Only certain versions of CFE allow O/C.

Check out the big thread about CFE under ASUS Wireless.

So it's actually your first attempt (?)...not that O/C stops in 380.58. Didn't know where I got the wrong presumption.

Hi yes, first attempts done with this router have been w/380.58. I will read in full the CFE thread.
Thanks

well, I reflashed my CFE with frequencies changed and it still did not make a difference. clkfreq shows 1200,800 but BogoMIPS still around 2000 => real clkfreq is 1000. :-(

Brave one, i was afraid that step could result in a brick, it really could. i'm glad it didn't. :)

Thank you for sharing.

on my ac66 which has an overclocked cfe

do an nvram backup
factory default it
then do a restore

cfe clocks will hold then

Brave one, i was afraid that step could result in a brick, it really could. i'm glad it didn't. :)

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your support. It is true that these things (flashing boot loaders / firmwares) always scare, and things have to be checked twice before proceeding... and not to be attempted in case of doubts until all is clear.

on my ac66 which has an overclocked cfe

do an nvram backup
factory default it
then do a restore

cfe clocks will hold then

Thanks. For sure I will try this this weekend and post back, but.. by 'do a restore' you mean restore the nvram from the backup (wouldn't we end where we began then?) ? ... or reconfigure the router again manually ?

It will not work, the CFE doesn't allow speeds > 1GHZ, it's locked, just like RT-N66U < 1.0.1.4 CFE.

It will not work, the CFE doesn't allow speeds > 1GHZ, it's locked, just like RT-N66U < 1.0.1.4 CFE.

OK, In that case and unless someone finds an unlocked CFE which we can use or how to unlock it, we are done.. The only CFE available in the CFE dumps thread is the same one I have.. (which by the way is bl 2.0.0.3 and not 1.0.2.3)

Last edited:
The CFE collection is not updated, almost a year now and i still didn't update the thread, but now it doesn't make too much sense anyway, they are now encrypted.

2.0.0.3 (EU) is the only version seen so far on RT-AC3200, so it's a dead end, unless:

1.0.1.6 (US) version is also compatible with your router, but i can't tell if is able to overclock or not...

Last edited:
Hggomes, .. do you have the 1.0.1.6 (US) one. (can not find it in the CFEs AIO file) ? I'll have a look, although maybe I won't even attempt to flash it.. for the risk of not being compatible and because even if it works, it'd mess up my allowable channels for wifi..

Besides, what it looks like we are stating now is that the RT-AC3200 has never been overclocked before (at least not any of this routers that has the only known CFE for Europe) Is this right ?

Just to confirm, please if anyone has previously been able to overclock an RT-AC3200 before, post here and if possible share also the version number of its CFE (issue nvram get bl_version from a telnet/ssh session)

Yes i have, but like i said before the thread is outdated, i'll try to update it in the meantime.

You would need someone from US to give a try overclocking RT-AC3200 and see the result, if it works you can always use it with your current settings.

But remember it's TNT in your hands. :)

Last edited:
My RT-AC88U the nvram values hold
from an nvram commit and reboot

but asus are comedians and keep the cpu at 200mhz ignoring the value
this is done at the os level

funny guys

not sure what theyr beef is if we want to overclock the cpu
it has nothing to do with the radio's
they should stop being d**ks

My RT-AC88U overclocks fine at 1.6GHZ, but the other unit doesn't, it happens the same as you described.

Hi, just to post back some feedback. Hggomes was right here. The current 2.0.0.3 CFE (w/clock freqs changed) does not allow overclocks even after nvram clear / reboot cycle. :-( to overclock for now.

I got it working with the 1.0.1.5 CFE:

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name    : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor    : 0
BogoMIPS    : 2387.14
Features    : half fastmult edsp tls
CPU implementer    : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant    : 0x3
CPU part    : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

processor    : 1
BogoMIPS    : 2393.70

Hardware    : Northstar Prototype
Revision    : 0000
Serial        : 0000000000000000

Here's a copy of it with MAC's and code zero'ed out:

https://mega.nz/#!8dsmRZSI!Hm29QrqwyBEiW4cdnav0wkvMOuDD7kLhzXGhdJIRUWM

It was obvious related with the CFE as mentioned earlier, thank you for the file and confirmation. :)

I wonder about the 2.x.x.x US Bootloader version, it will probably not work just like EU version, anyone?

Have you tried OC with ASUSWRT FW?

Last edited:
It was obvious related with the CFE as mentioned earlier, thank you for the file and confirmation. :)

I wonder about the 2.x.x.x US Bootloader version, it will probably not work just like EU version, anyone?

Have you tried OC with ASUSWRT FW?

No; I'm running VLAN trunks and multiple SSID's so I'm not really in a position to refresh over to asuswrt; would be interesting to find out though.

Sure no problem, but take in mind you can do the same on ASUSWRT.

I got it working with the 1.0.1.5 CFE:

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
BogoMIPS    : 2387.14

processor    : 1
BogoMIPS    : 2393.70

Hardware    : Northstar Prototype
Revision    : 0000
Serial        : 0000000000000000

Here's a copy of it with MAC's and code zero'ed out:

https://mega.nz/#!8dsmRZSI!Hm29QrqwyBEiW4cdnav0wkvMOuDD7kLhzXGhdJIRUWM

Really good news indeed! I have the CFE ready now with my MACs and secret codes.. but before attempting to flash this and overclock, I 'd like to make it 'EU' (my region code) and not 'US/Q2' based.. do any of you know if this is a matter of only changing the several instances of 'ccode' or do I also have to change the 'regrev' variables to my 'EU's' firmware values ?

Keep the old values, even it doesn't matter which code is there, what matters is the CFE itself for this purpose. (overclocking)

Make sure you don't make any mistakes on your editing or you will say goodbye to your RT-AC3200.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!