What's new

Painfully slow NAS transfer speed..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markw996

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an ICY BOX 4220B NAS which is connected to a wireless N router which I access wirelessly via my Windows Vista laptop.

When I drag'n'drop files from my laptop to the NAS I am getting transfer speeds of between 200KB & 1MB/sec :(
But when I use an ftp client to access the NAS I am getting transfer speeds of anything up to 14MB/sec :)

Are these speeds normal for a Wireless N Network, and why is drag'n'drop up to 70x slower than FTP??

Is there anything I can change to improve my drag'n'drop transfer speeds?

With the speeds I'm currently getting the NAS is not much practical use if I have to FTP everything to and from it rather than using my much prefered drag'n'drop method :confused:

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited:
File transfer speeds will tend to be faster with FTP than filecopy due to reduced overhead.

Are you using a draft 11n client in the notebook?

Make sure you are running Vista SP1, which has improved file transfer performance.

Hi,

My laptop is running Vista SP1 and is definitely draft 11n, the adapter is an Intel 5100 AGN.

I'm at a loss to understand why it's running so slow.

Regards,
Mark.

It might be a bit painful to read this, but Icy Box isn't exactly known for their amazing performance...

However, it shouldn't be that bad.

The difference between SMB transfers and FTP shouldn't be that drastically different. Thats an interesting issue.

Well the other problems I was having were that it would timeout when copying data to the NAS, usually within an hour or two and need to be rebooted in order to be visible on the network. Also deleting files from the NAS took such a long time that it would also timeout.

I've just bought a QNAP TS-209 which I'm just setting up and it's been copying data for 2 days at around 2.5MB/s without a problem. It has loads more features, you can delete data from It in seconds not hours, and it works with my Seagate 1.5TB drives.

You would be correct in thinking that I've gone right off Icy Box products!