What's new

Pc cannot see NAS in Explorer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carlf

New Around Here
HI,

I have a problem I am hoping can be solved here. I have a vista pc with the NAS attached to the router. The installation went well and from the Vista Pc i was able to see my NAS. However neither my mac nor the PC were able to see each other although I could see the NAS on my Mac using Finder. I researched the topic and located a tip that I thought could help. The tip said to go into regedit and locate the Hkey_local_machine\system\Current Control Set\Control\LSA and change the value from what I had which was a 3 to a 1. I did so and rebooted. when I went into Network I could see the in the upper part of the screen the modem one of my wireless printer and the pc. In the lower part of the screen was the NAS and my other wireless printer. To the right of the screen was a message indicating what to do if not my network was not showing properly. I went into windows explorer and I could not see the NAS or the wireless printer. I then went into regedit and reverse the change I had previously made and rebooted.

When I went back into Network the same screen appeared. I went into Explorer and could not see the NAS. I then tried several system restores and none of them work. I am at a complete loss as to what I should do. Can anyone help?

Carl

additional info

Hi,
Judging from the lack of response, I either posted this to the wrong forum or I didnt explain my problem in a concise manner. I am trYing to figure out how to get my network map corrected so that it will include my NAS and the wireless printer. Right now I am up in the air concerning a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

CARL

Or no one here has an answer.

Are you having trouble actually connecting to the NAS? Or are you just trying to get the network map to show everything. The Vista / Win 7 network map requires products that speak the Link Layer Topology Discovery protocol, which many products don't support.

The main thing you need to worry about is whether you can see the NAS via network browsing, which uses a different, more widely supported protocol.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Ideally I woud like it was prior to making the change to the registry. Before, I could see the network on the network map and also using Explorer. The way it is now I cannot access the NAS from my Vista machine. I am not sure why system restore didn't work. I have sufficient hard drive space. I will try it using safe mode.

Carl

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!