What's new

Per IP Traffic accounting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

is it possible to disable hardware acceleration on AX88U ? (if yes, how ?)

You can do it in SSH, but it may not stick. Enable something incompatible with hardware acceleration - Traditional QoS, Cake QoS or Bandwidth Limiter. Hardware acceleration will stay disabled. Your router will turn into up to 350Mbps WAN-LAN router though, limited by the CPU.

ok. so you say , iptables can not collect correct information from accounting tables.
is it possible to disable hardware acceleration on AX88U ? (if yes, how ?)
Try running the commands in this post:

oh thanks.
finally something useful :)

so to disable HW acceleration:
nvram set fc_disable_force=1
nvram set runner_disable_force=1
nvram commit
service reboot
and to enable back:
nvram unset fc_disable_force
nvram unset runner_disable_force
nvram commit
service reboot

this really works.
Your router will turn into up to 350Mbps WAN-LAN router though, limited by the CPU

so does that only affect WAN-LAN access , or also LAN-LAN access ?
My uplink is only 100Mbps.
So if it only affects WAN-LAN as 350Mbps, then I'm OK with that.
But wouldn't want to limit LAN-LAN (wifi)

so does that only affect WAN-LAN access , or also LAN-LAN access ?

In theory must be affecting WAN-LAN traffic only, both ways. LAN-LAN is switched traffic, not routed. Not sure how WLAN-LAN is processed in HND routers. You can check this quickly on your router, faster than I can fire up one HND Asus router and verify.

how can I check it ?
in previous post I had asked a method to test speed between 2 Android devices or 2 PCs.
Something like that ?

my internet connection is DL 100Mbit/s , UL 10Mbit/s
so if the HW acceleration is just affecting LAN-WAN access, 350Mbit/s is enough for me both ways.
But is there any other consequences of disabling HW acceleration ? What is "HW acceleration" actually ?

my internet connection is DL 100Mbit/s , UL 10Mbit/s

Your WAN-LAN connection (Internet) won't be affected by NAT acceleration disabled. For LAN-LAN and WLAN-LAN traffic just copy a large movie file and watch the transfer speeds. LAN-LAN (wired to wired) must show up to 940Mbps speeds, or >100MB/sec. WLAN-LAN (wireless to wired) speed depends on the wireless client part. WLAN-WLAN (wireless to wireless) speed depends on wireless clients plus it will be up to 1/2 of the maximum possible speed to the slower client. The reason for 1/2 speed is because the same radio has to serve both clients in the same time.

I'm not sure I follow you. English is not my native language. Could you clarify it for me:

I want to be able to measure what bandwidth each client uses. So I want to disable HW acceleration with the suggested method above.
But I need to understand what I lose when I diable HW acceleration.

So, let me understand what is "HW acceleration" ? When I disable, does it disable some HW that normally router uses?
And what are the effects ?
I understand it limits LAN to WAN (and WAN to LAN) speed by 350Mbit/s , which is fine because I already don't have such bandwidth.
What about LAN-LAN and LAN-WLAN speed ?
When I disable HW acceleration, does it limit LAN-LAN & LAN-WLAN ?

When I disable, does it disable some HW that normally router uses?

No, there is a simple to understand explanation here.

What about LAN-LAN and LAN-WLAN speed ?

As I said above, LAN-LAN is not routed, but switched traffic. It's unaffected by NAT acceleration. It's the Switch inside your router. Your All-In-One "router" consists of Router, Switch and Access Point components. LAN-WLAN shouldn't be affected as well, but I don't know how WLAN traffic is processed in your HND router. Higher CPU load in WAN-LAN may or may not indirectly affect WLAN performance. Some "routers" use more CPU for WLAN (like AC68U), some less (like AC86U). All-In-One routers do WAN-LAN-WLAN traffic in the same time. You can test and see if you have any WLAN performance differences with NAT acceleration ON/OFF in your normal use. I believe, it will be the same or very close on RT-AX88U.

ok. thanks for this explanation. I also read the explanation in the link (NAT acceleration)
so basically with my state (uplink at 100-110Mbits) , there is no importance of HW acceleration.
And since I want to follow bw usage of clients on LAN, I will disable it with following commands:

nvram set fc_disable_force=1
nvram set runner_disable_force=1
nvram commit
service reboot

these won't affect anything other than HW/NAT acceleration, is that correct ?

and since these won't survive a reboot/restart, I want to put these commands in a startup file.
Which file should I use for this purpose ?
is "/jffs/scripts/services-start" fine ?

Btw, I am really looking for a good way to test client to client max bandwidth test. File copying does not show anything more than 50Mbit/s
is there any good tool to test ?

btw, I just disabled HW acceleration ; first output:
- cpu temperature increased 0.5 C (from 76 to 76.5)
- wl1 temperature not changed
- wl2 temperature decreased 2 C (from 50 to 48)
- cpu idle % not changed