What's new

Interface Shown As 5G Wifi When Connected To 2.5G Ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routeraround

Occasional Visitor
As per title. I've searched but come up with nothing, apologies if I missed anything.

My desktop was connected via 5G wifi for a long time (AC68U, then RT-AX88U-Pro) but as of the last two weeks I've been connected via the 2.5 Ethernet port on my RT-AX88U-Pro. No connection issues and full speed. I've done two firmware updates since moving to Eth.

The GUI shows me as connected to 5G wifi, with the appropriate icon. Is there an NVRAM setting I can check/change? The computer's always had a manually assigned IP on the DHCP Server settings, with the MAC address changed for the switch to Eth.

I've not done a hardware reset and would rather not set up from scratch again for what's a purely cosmetic problem, even if it is bugging me slightly! The last hardware reset was when moving the AC68U to an AiMesh node a couple of months ago.

Remove the Manual Address reservation and power cycle the router. Leave the power unplugged for a minute or so. Likely a wonky Network Map, again. Make sure the WIFI in the PC is disabled.

Remove the Manual Address reservation and power cycle the router. Leave the power unplugged for a minute or so. Likely a wonky Network Map, again. Make sure the WIFI in the PC is disabled.

Just tried this but still the same, unfortunately. Wifi was already disabled on the computer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just tried this but still the same, unfortunately. Wifi was already disabled on the computer. Thanks for the suggestion.
While this looks like a Router Problem you could try:

Reflash router a second time.

Try: https://www.howtogeek.com/785351/how-and-why-to-perform-a-netsh-winsock-reset-on-windows/

EDIT: and because you mentioned your OLD ROUTER, you should have started fresh on the new and NEVER import settings from the OLD router.

Last edited:
While this looks like a Router Problem you could try:

Reflash router a second time.

Try: https://www.howtogeek.com/785351/how-and-why-to-perform-a-netsh-winsock-reset-on-windows/

EDIT: and because you mentioned your OLD ROUTER, you should have started fresh on the new and NEVER import settings from the OLD router.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've never imported old settings, only set up from scratch. I'm using Arch Linux on the desktop and throughout the home.

I have thought to disable 5G on the router but the last time I tried something like that I had to reconnect the node from scratch with a hard reset. It's all working beautifully at the moment, so I'll hold off on that. I may try the reflash when I have the opportunity.

If DHCP is assigning the IP address to your client, Network Map usually corrects itself when the IP address for the client is renewed. I say usually because it may not happen. Resetting the router will fix it but is correcting an icon worth the effort? Give it some time.

As per title. I've searched but come up with nothing, apologies if I missed anything.

My desktop was connected via 5G wifi for a long time (AC68U, then RT-AX88U-Pro) but as of the last two weeks I've been connected via the 2.5 Ethernet port on my RT-AX88U-Pro. No connection issues and full speed. I've done two firmware updates since moving to Eth.

The GUI shows me as connected to 5G wifi, with the appropriate icon. Is there an NVRAM setting I can check/change? The computer's always had a manually assigned IP on the DHCP Server settings, with the MAC address changed for the switch to Eth.

I've not done a hardware reset and would rather not set up from scratch again for what's a purely cosmetic problem, even if it is bugging me slightly! The last hardware reset was when moving the AC68U to an AiMesh node a couple of months ago.
Have you made sure to disable the WIFI drivers or atleast turn off the wifi on the device. Sometimes the device will still connect over wifi if it is left turned on. My suggestion is to "force forget" the wireless network on the device. That way you can eliminate whether the desktop is auto-connecting for some weird reason.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions, I appreciate it.

I also tried switching ports on the router. I will give it some time to hopefully correct itself. If not then I will probably do a full reset and set up with the next significant firmware upgrade. I'll update the thread as necessary.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!