What's new

Ping times escalate every 10 seconds, then fall.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theirongiant

Regular Contributor
My AX88U has some new strange issue where ping times will slowly escalate from ~30ms all the way up to ~300ms, then suddenly fall back to normal.

This repeats every 10 seconds like clockwork.

I'm also seeing issues with streaming video services on the TV that will randomly drop to the worst possible quality level (240p/360p) then slowly ramp up again to 4K.

I have Frontier 1Gbps fiber internet. This is a new issue and was not happening before. The regularity of the ping time escalations leads me to believe the issue is local to the router. I'm on the 386.8 firmware (Merlin) so I may also post this thread in that sub forum, but put it here in case others saw a similar issue with their AX88U.

See attached screenshots. One target is facebook.com; the other is apple.com.

Attachments

• 863E7B40-7934-4010-BC62-0281E3BF7147.jpeg
    863E7B40-7934-4010-BC62-0281E3BF7147.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 57
  • AE2FE3E5-8194-411F-8655-2134D034339B.jpeg
    AE2FE3E5-8194-411F-8655-2134D034339B.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 47
Is this over WiFi only or does it also effect Ethernet clients?

Are you using QoS?

P.S. Don't create duplicate threads in other subforums. "Report" your own thread and ask the admin to move the entire thread if it's in the wrong place.

Is this over WiFi only or does it also effect Ethernet clients?

Are you using QoS?

P.S. Don't create duplicate threads in other subforums. "Report" your own thread and ask the admin to move the entire thread if it's in the wrong place.

Unsure, didn't test that far. Problem went away this evening. I found that QoS was still enabled (it was on briefly for monitoring) so I just turned it off.

Also, I didn't create a duplicate post / thread; I merely replied to another post for the 368.8 release in the Merlin subforum. That seemed OK.

Last edited:
The problem comes back in the daytime. I am not seeing the issue on Ethernet, only Wi-Fi... and only from an iOS device. Not from a computer on Wi-Fi.

If I set the ping interval shorter than 1.0 seconds on the iPhone (i.e. every 0.25 seconds), then the ping times are wildly erratic. If I set the ping interval at 1 - 2 seconds, then I see a clearly repeating pattern of escalation, then settling back down.

None of this happens on Ethernet or on a computer on Wi-Fi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!