What's new

Bosch Easy Control on ASUS RT-AXE-7800 connection times out.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TSV

Occasional Visitor
I left Virgin Media and they are taking away the hub, so I bought the above router. I have connected it to my phone and enable hot spot and ethernet tethering.
When I try to pair it with the thermostat, I can see the SSID, if I put a wrong password I get the wrong password error, but when I put the right one in, it just times out and says no connection. For some reason my phone won't allow mobile data when connected to a wifi, but I've tried it connected and not connected dozens of times. I can connect directly to my phone and it's fine. It's definitely the router. Please help, I'm not a techie at all. Thanks

I left Virgin Media and they are taking away the hub, so I bought the above router. I have connected it to my phone and enable hot spot and ethernet tethering.
When I try to pair it with the thermostat, I can see the SSID, if I put a wrong password I get the wrong password error, but when I put the right one in, it just times out and says no connection. For some reason my phone won't allow mobile data when connected to a wifi, but I've tried it connected and not connected dozens of times. I can connect directly to my phone and it's fine. It's definitely the router. Please help, I'm not a techie at all. Thanks

Please clarify what is connecting to what? If you've tethered to the phone as your WAN of the router, you shouldn't need hotspot on the phone, and the thermostat should be connecting to the router's wifi.

Your thermostat will only connect to the 2.4 GHz band and I suspect you will have to use WPA2-PERSONAL. Using the Dual Band SmartConnect should be OK. If all else fails you can set up a Guest network with a unique SSID on the 2.4 Ghz band for the thermostat and other IoT devices.

I have my phone connected to the WAN port. I have a LAN cable going to my PC. The thermostat used to show the SSID, now it doesn't do that. I have tried the app, it always fails. I tried the web gui but it keeps giving me an error saying wrong password or login, I can't see how to reset the password, but I don't think that's the problem. I've reset the router several times by pressing the reset button underneath for 20 secs or so. I then set up new user name and password and the same thing happens. On my therm only the 2.6GHz shows up, I try to log on and it never does.

Thanks for your help.

I've just done a factory reset on the thermostat and router. When I search for a network, it shows the SSID but when I input my password, it looks like it is connecting and then just times out, and I get the symbol with a red line through it.

When I tethered my phone to the router, it didn't show internet access to my PC which was connected to it. I had to enable the hotspot to get it online.
I keep getting an error when I try to bind it to my google account. It also doesn't reboot and most of the other functions fail when I use the app.
Thanks

I've just done a factory reset on the thermostat and router. When I search for a network, it shows the SSID but when I input my password, it looks like it is connecting and then just times out, and I get the symbol with a red line through it.

When I tethered my phone to the router, it didn't show internet access to my PC which was connected to it. I had to enable the hotspot to get it online.
I keep getting an error when I try to bind it to my google account. It also doesn't reboot and most of the other functions fail when I use the app.
Thanks

Are you trying to use the same phone for the WAN of the Asus and doing the app stuff? That's not going to work.

When you enable the phone's hotspot and connect to it you are bypassing the router completely.

Sounds like your wireless carrier does not allow tethering which means you can't use the Asus with it.

For what you're trying to do to work, you need to disable hotspot (preferably all wifi) on the phone and get tethering working. You may have to pay your mobile carrier extra, or they may not support it at all.

Other than that your only option is to run the phone in hotspot mode and the Asus in repeater mode if you need more coverage or wired devices, but that's not a great long term option, not very secure. A router that supports wireless WAN (WISP) would be better.

Hmmm...

With all the trouble - sounds like time to find another method to connect - could be a different router model/vendor...

It's well known that most consumer routers are about 80 percent bug-free - the challenge is which 20 percent is any one bug...

I have connected it to my phone and enable hot spot and ethernet tethering.

Aha - it's likely there - the phone...

Easy enough to blame, as hotspot mode is a secondary consideration in any case...

Thanks for your help guys, I'll call ASUS and Bosch and see what they say. I like this router as it has a VPN built in.

Aha - it's likely there - the phone...

Easy enough to blame, as hotspot mode is a secondary consideration in any case...
I'm just trying to connect the router to the thermostat, do I need the phone connection to just pair it? I assumed I needed an internet connection, hence the phone but maybe I'm over complicating it.

Thanks

I'm just trying to connect the router to the thermostat, do I need the phone connection to just pair it? I assumed I needed an internet connection, hence the phone but maybe I'm over complicating it.

Thanks

The thermostat is likely trying to connect to the internet before it will tell you the connection is good. The internet must be available through the WAN of the Asus, and hotspot on your phone isn't going to do that, only a hardwired connection.

But I connect the phone to the router and I don't get internet connection. How do I fix that?

But I connect the phone to the router and I don't get internet connection. How do I fix that?

Like I said, check with your mobile carrier and see if your plan supports tethering. Many do not, and some charge extra for it.

To be clear, you have two options

1. Phone's hotspot, no asus router
2. Asus router with a wired (tether or ethernet) WAN connection.

If you want to use the asus with your phone's hotspot as the WAN you'll need a wireless to ethernet bridge to put between the Asus WAN and your phone.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll call ASUS and Bosch and see what they say. I like this router as it has a VPN built in.

Bosch will tell you that it needs an internet connection to set up, and Asus will tell you that your phone must support tethering.

Are you really looking to use your phone's data as a long term internet solution? Even if you have an unlimited plan, you're going to use up your "high speed data" pretty quickly and then have a barely usable connection, unless you've got a very rare and good mobile plan.

Thanks for your help. It definitely supports tethering, I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks for youe help, you're a legend.

Thanks for your help. It definitely supports tethering, I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks for youe help, you're a legend.

Your phone supports it or your wireless plan does? That's the first call I'd make, to your wireless carrier, to confirm you should be able to tether, it is becoming more and more rare these days, most have disabled it, at least on unlimited plans.

Have you ever used your current phone and wireless plan tethered to anything before? Regardless, while you're trying to get it working, I'd forget about the thermostat and use a PC (wired or wireless, preferably wired just to keep it simple at first) connected to the Asus LAN, with your phone tethered as the WAN, just to troubleshoot and get it working. Disable wifi on the phone completely. Trying to troubleshoot with a thermostat is going to be nearly impossible.

Also best to avoid using the Asus app (especially if it is installed on the phone you're trying to use for your tethered internet). Use a PC to go to the router's web interface and get it set up.

If you want to reset the router and start over, forget the reset button, see here how to do a true factory reset:

At this point my guess is your carrier either doesn't support tethering at all or you need to tweak some settings in the phone and/or router to get it working. You can probably google your carrier and "tethering" to see what others have figured out.

I was using the ethernet tethering connection, I bought an adapter. When I switched to USB tethering I got it working. I have to use my phone permanently connected to the router and a spare phone to set it up on the thermostat. The phone I'm tethering stops when I connect to the wi-fi. That's a bit of a pain, but I can cope. I'll try it properly when I get up and update the thread. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

I was using the ethernet tethering connection, I bought an adapter. When I switched to USB tethering I got it working. I have to use my phone permanently connected to the router and a spare phone to set it up on the thermostat. The phone I'm tethering stops when I connect to the wi-fi. That's a bit of a pain, but I can cope. I'll try it properly when I get up and update the thread. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

Ah didn't catch that part, yes just use USB tethering as the router supports it by default. Unfortunately the phone you're using for your WAN connection cannot be used for anything LAN, it is one or the other, so yeah use a spare phone to set up thermostat etc and just leave WiFi on the "wan phone" disabled. Sounds like you're on the right track now.

If you plan to do this long term then maybe a spare phone and data only plan for your tether so you can just leave it there and use your main phone as usual? Every time you disconnect your tether, your thermostat and other stuff will probably stop working, at least partially. A lot of IOTs store their programming and settings in the cloud and just keep some basic "if all else fails" stuff locally.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!