What's new

pixelserv pixelserv - A Better One-pixel Webserver for Adblock

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@kvic - is there more we can do to help? Do these postings continue to assist or are you done with them at this point?

Also. I'd be happy to update the libraries...
(1) is that likely to screw anything else up?
(2) how "sticky" is it? Will the new libraries stay with the next 384.x update?
(3) What am I supposed to do with those ipk files in the link? LOL

(1) is that likely to screw anything else up?
very unlikely but anything is possible
(2) how "sticky" is it? Will the new libraries stay with the next 384.x update?
Installation will be persistent i.e. sticky. Revert back is possible. ASUSWRT fw version is irrelevant.
(3) What am I supposed to do with those ipk files in the link? LOL

To install the new library, take armv7 as example:

Code:
$ opkg install http://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/test/libopenssl_1.0.2n-1c_armv7-2.6.ipk

Restart pixelserv-tls. That's it.

Replace the URL appropriately for armv8.

Cool. Tried it... how do I know if it took?
Edit: I didn't get any errors... just dunno if anything happened.

Code:
Upgrading libopenssl on root from 1.0.2n-1b to 1.0.2n-1c...
Configuring libopenssl.

If people saw something like above, means lib upgrade succeeded.

Upon restart pixelserv-tls, memory usage shall be less than before.

2.5% previously perhaps now 1.5% ? For those ppl getting 20MB memory usage, now maybe top out around 9MB.

Well, looks like it went ok then. I'll check stats tomorrow after 24 hours. Immediately following the update pixelserv was at 0.5% (down from 2.5%) but I don't think that means anything.

Latest ASUS mobile app openning up WAN access without user consent (that potentially had reported cases being hacked due to this) is definitely worth a sticky. But politically I won't think it's going to happen for the obvious reason.
That's crap. Security holes aren't/shouldn't be political. It's an alert to the user community that would come down when the hole is plugged!

I'll check stats tomorrow after 24 hours. Immediately following the update pixelserv was at 0.5%

The upgrade to openssl lib is science not black magic. Result shall be immediately observable and repeatable.

In my previous tests on latest build of pixelserv-tls, right after restart ~1.6MB.

Quickly visit a few websites such as cnn.com (I repeated multiple times it's a good site for testing), memory shall shoot up immediately and top off.

The improvement in the new lib is crying out loud for appreciation!

Hello all,

Just upgraded to the 384.5_alpha and when I tried restarting pixelserv after rebooting my router I get the following err0r:
Code:
Apr  4 18:41:14 sms: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /jffs/scripts/services-start.
Apr  4 18:41:14 pixelserv-tls[2617]: pixelserv-tls 2.1.0-rc.3 (compiled: Mar 29 2018 19:28:58) options: 192.168.1.2
Apr  4 18:41:15 pixelserv-tls[2617]: Abort: Cannot assign requested address - :192.168.1.2:443
Then I tried reinstalling rc3 again from amtm and then the following error occurs at the very end:
Code:
Congratulations. pixelserv-tls 2.1.0-rc.3 is installed.

To take immediate effect, restart pixelserv-tls:

/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls restart

Shutting down pixelserv-tls...              failed.
 Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)...              already running.

The servstats page now just hangs at the TLS handshake. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I have been installing every one of the last few beta rc's with no problem, this is the first time ever this issue has come up.. :/

Quickly visit a few websites such as cnn.com (I repeated multiple times it's a good site for testing), memory shall shoot up immediately and top off.
I've been using 538, daily mail, and this one really hammers requests.
http://www.sportingnews.com

Hello all,

Just upgraded to the 384.5_alpha and when I tried restarting pixelserv after rebooting my router I get the following err0r:
Code:
Apr  4 18:41:14 sms: Started pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution) from /jffs/scripts/services-start.
Apr  4 18:41:14 pixelserv-tls[2617]: pixelserv-tls 2.1.0-rc.3 (compiled: Mar 29 2018 19:28:58) options: 192.168.1.2
Apr  4 18:41:15 pixelserv-tls[2617]: Abort: Cannot assign requested address - :192.168.1.2:443
Then I tried reinstalling rc3 again from amtm and then the following error occurs at the very end:
Code:
Congratulations. pixelserv-tls 2.1.0-rc.3 is installed.

To take immediate effect, restart pixelserv-tls:

/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls restart

Shutting down pixelserv-tls...              failed.
 Starting pixelserv-tls (AB-Solution)...              already running.

The servstats page now just hangs at the TLS handshake. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I have been installing every one of the last few beta rc's with no problem, this is the first time ever this issue has come up.. :/

Try stop and restart pixelserv-tls directly with below commands:
Code:
killall -9 pixelserv-tls
/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls start

Originally I thought putting up the links to libraries, and some people may figure out their way for fun. Somehow myself on & off ended up spending two hours on this..

Anyway..I ended up went through the same process. Here are the result:

bwF6z57.png

Everything is same as before (posted two days ago) except new2 is a slightly newer build running on Entware's armv7 test library.

See the improvement in memory usage?

The upgrade to openssl lib is science not black magic. Result shall be immediately observable and repeatable.
Oh really? I figured since pixelserv had been running for 23 hours before the last data point that I'd need to wait another 23 hours after restart for a good comparison. No?

I've been using 538, daily mail, and this one really hammers requests.
http://www.sportingnews.com
About that...

I’ve just loaded john’s update, and I popped onto fivethirtyeight to check everything’s up and it’s in some kind of a loop or something. Browser page is continually in a loading state. It’s hitting pixelserv for several thousand requests per minute with no sign of slowing.

@kvic this is an unintentional torture test alright. I am monitoring memory. If pixelserv doesn’t crash, I’ll have some silly numbers to show off later.

Installed the new binary and restarted pixelserv-tls and voila! The memory usage is topped out at 1.5% (of 250MB). Mindblowing!

About that...

I’ve just loaded john’s update, and I popped onto fivethirtyeight to check everything’s up and it’s in some kind of a loop or something. Browser page is continually in a loading state. It’s hitting pixelserv for several thousand requests per minute with no sign of slowing.

@kvic this is an unintentional torture test alright. I am monitoring memory. If pixelserv doesn’t crash, I’ll have some silly numbers to show off later.
I pounded as hard as I could after the libssl update. Opened fivethirtyeight, daily mail, cnn, sporting news in two tabs each and then navigated around within each of those 8 tabs quickly.

Here is what I got with pixelserv. 20 kcc - only 1.4% mem used 0f 512MB. SNB does not like my images, so a link. https://ibb.co/jvKihH

Last edited:
I pounded as hard as I could after the libssl update. Opened fivethirtyeight, daily mail, cnn, sporting news in two tabs each and then navigated around within each of those 8 tabs quickly.

Here is what I got with pixelserv. 20 kcc - only 1.4% mem used. SNB does not like my images, so a link. https://ibb.co/jvKihH
I’m continuing to monitor. Right now memory is 1.3% of 250M as I’m about to pass three quarters of a million requests

Try stop and restart pixelserv-tls directly with below commands:
Code:
killall -9 pixelserv-tls
/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls start
Seems like the reason for my hiccup was due to upgrading to the new openssl libraries..just fyi for anyone else out there with the same issue.

It could have gone on probably as long as I had the patience to let it.

Looks like 538 is hanging to one particular domain. Hence, requests are concentrated on a single service thread.

This is as easy as eating a piece of cake for pixelserv-tls. Takes a fraction of milli second to process on my RT-56U 1.2GHz. I bet similar on your AC1900P.

For more timing numbers, check out #1617.

A much harsher test that exert memory pressure will be the test in #1618 :)

Seems like the reason for my hiccup was due to upgrading to the new openssl libraries..just fyi for anyone else out there with the same issue.

Good to know. Then I would recommend a reboot as general advice after upgrading the openssl lib.

On my RT-AC56U, I tried many times upgrading Entware libs in place without reboot and no issues.

However, a reboot shall be cleanest and start from fresh for every process using a replaced library.

edit:

How is your memory usage with the new lib?