What's new

Please calm my fears

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

expertradioflyerdriver

Occasional Visitor
Looking up router security I found article after article on how to crack WPA2!!! Even one article by a smallnetbuilder.com staffer (How To Crack WPA / WPA2 - Security Myths,Tips,Conclusion January 15, 2008 Brandon Teska). Is wireless router safe? I am thinking of purchasing a wireless router but I want to access my bank accounts. Is it safe using a home wireless network for bank account access? The suggestions at the end of the article by the smallnetbuilder.com staffer seemed to make some sense. There are about 8 wireless networks in my condo. If I do the suggested mile long extreme cryptic password from the password site suggested in the article might push a hacker away from me to an easier network to hack in my building?
Also, suggested “Change your SSID”. I do not know what that is but when I purchase wireless router I will learn what it is.

I also found a very disturbing professionally produced hacking video. (This web site seems safe from malware, I did not get any nasties.) This looks to be a very first class commercial site. Who is funding this level of web site quality? The video describes “SSL stripping” using “Man in the middle”. I do not know what all that is. Go to the video and watch the 51 second description of what they will teach how to do. Click on the link and go to 08:50 to 09:41.
http://www.hak5.org/hack/strip-out-ssl-security-with-a-man-in-the-middle-attack
What also is disturbing is the professional quality of this. Do sponsors like Wrigley’s gum or Proctor & Gamble sponsor this stuff?
They suggest in the video (09:26) to protect yourself from what they are going to demonstrate is to “encrypt everything and tunnel it though”. What is that? How do I do that? For online banking can “encrypt everything and tunnel it though” be done on their web site?

Are these threats realistic if I use good internet habits and proper security settings and software? Or should I just keep my money and stick with the network cord across the carpet and no wireless?

Thank you for your comments

Bob

WPA and WPA2 use very strong encryption. But, like anything protected by a password, they can be compromised by brute-force password-guessing attacks.

This article How To Crack WEP - Part 3: Securing your WLAN
should help calm some of your fears and give you practical advice.

Go hit Wikipedia and look up the terms you don't understand, like man-in-the-middle.

If you are doing online banking or shopping, as long as the site you are using is using HTTPS (and all reputable sites do), you're fine. HTTPS provides an encrypted connection from your web browser to the site it is visiting.

You are more likely to have security problems from a virus, trojan or other malware that can get onto your system. So be sure to run anti-virus / anti-malware software that is automatically updated.

Also, suggested “Change your SSID”. I do not know what that is but when I purchase wireless router I will learn what it is.

Bob

The SSID is the name of your wireless network. Its what you are seeing when you browse wireless networks. The idea with changing it is that when you setup a wireless network the ID's default to usually the manufacturer's name of the access point. If you leave it at the default (i.e. Linksys) it can be more inviting because one might assume someone with the default SSID has left other things at default and thus is a good target for a hack attempt. Even if yours is secure the default name is like an invitation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!