What's new

Network security from kids

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dean.viens

Occasional Visitor
Hello all I’m looking for some advice,

I do not trust my son in the stuff he downloads and what not. I feel he could be a risk to our network. Is there anyway to setup a barrier so that no matter what he does the rest of my network is safe? Or is parental controls on installs the only way?

I do not trust my son in the stuff he downloads and what not. I feel he could be a risk to our network. Is there anyway to setup a barrier so that no matter what he does the rest of my network is safe? Or is parental controls on installs the only way?
A guest network should be good for this. While he'll have Internet access he'll not have access to anything else on the network.

Last edited:
Depends on your router - I have an Asus RT-AX88U Pro and it has all kinds of good things like AI Protection to secure the network down.

don't forget to block his cell phone or laptop from your regular network. If it randomizes mac addresses for privacy, he will have to turn it off for your guest network to get in.

Lockdown and force devices on the network to always use your chosen DNS provider. Consider using DNS filtering from OpenDNS or NextDNS or something similar.

Put him on him on his own router and double NAT your router and network behind it as the second router in the string and do not permit access to the routers admin pages from the WAN. Assuming the first router has gigabit LAN ports there will be little or no impact on your grown ups only network. Just be sure the radios on both routers are on different channels.

I was thinking in terms of protecting yourself from legal issues if someone in your family gets involved with torrenting, etc. In that case his own network would not do any good.

don't forget to block his cell phone or laptop from your regular network. If it randomizes mac addresses for privacy, he will have to turn it off for your guest network to get in.

Consider a 10 dollar pre-paid SIM card and Hotspot mode on the phone - renders this all moot...

Kids are pretty smart these days, and they learn very fast...

Consider a 10 dollar pre-paid SIM card and Hotspot mode on the phone - renders this all moot...

Kids are pretty smart these days, and they learn very fast...
Good idea but I doubt the junior would be satisfied with speed. I am going on a short term project and need/want Internet service on my laptop. Best speed I can get using my Iphone 14 in hotspot mode is 1 Mbps downloads and makes no difference if I tether the phone to the laptop or use WiFi. Carrier is Verizon.

1.Grant him network access only certain times of the day, say when you are home.

2.Make it perfectly clear on your position on his surfing/torrenting habits. Don't coddle him. Set the boundaries of conduct.

3. If he cannot abide by your rules, take his devices away. Drop the ban hammer. It's your house, your rules.

He can torrent all he wants when he gets his own place. All the more impetus to move out when he hits 18. Life goals.

This is always a hot-button topic on the forums here - and there are a few answers... and done "wrong" it can lead to other issues in a negative way...

What I can advise is communication - talk to your son, see what he's doing, and explain your concerns. You might be surprised at the response.

There are tools like Parental Controls and DNS filters, but as I mentioned, this can be easily overridden by a cheap phone/sim card, and then where are you?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!