What's new

Poor 2.4ghz speed, solid coverage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ToonTonic

Regular Contributor
Router: RT-AC88U
Firmware: Latest Merlin Beta (problem predates this)

Issue: Slow network speeds overall only on the 2.4ghz band.

Using 5ghz I exceed what my ISP provides (200 down Virgin Fiber)
On the 2.4ghz I struggle to get near 50Mbps down.

Tests completed on Galaxy S7 & S6.

2.4ghz not in N mode as I do have a laptop which won't work with it on.

Please could you provide assistance:

f6d57dd2073a9536908fe926098ae0d4.jpg

3a7c6f1bbe8956262d7de0674b7d63e2.jpg

Toon

It's set to 20/40

Toon

It will drop to 20 automatically when other networks are detected around you.

From this article: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/31743-bye-bye-40-mhz-mode-in-24-ghz-part-1

Q1: What are the conditions for an AP to fall back to 20 MHz?
A: There are many things that will cause fallback to 20 MHz. But the most frequently encountered reasons are:

1) If an AP detects another BSS (wireless network) within +/1 40 MHz, i.e. two channels, of its own channel. For example, if an AP is set to Channel 6, another network operating anywhere from Channel 4 to 8 will trigger fallback.

2) A client device with its 40 MHz ("fat channel") intolerant bit set is detected

An example of another cause for fallback is that if an 802.11n station sends a “20/40 BSS Coexistence” management frame containing one “20/40 BSS Intolerant Channel Report” element to AP. If the report includes a channel in its channel list that is within the +/- 40 MHz of its set channel, the AP will fall back to 20 MHz mode.

From this article: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/31743-bye-bye-40-mhz-mode-in-24-ghz-part-1

A: There are many things that will cause fallback to 20 MHz. But the most frequently encountered reasons are:

1) If an AP detects another BSS (wireless network) within +/1 40 MHz, i.e. two channels, of its own channel. For example, if an AP is set to Channel 6, another network operating anywhere from Channel 4 to 8 will trigger fallback.

2) A client device with its 40 MHz ("fat channel") intolerant bit set is detected

An example of another cause for fallback is that if an 802.11n station sends a “20/40 BSS Coexistence” management frame containing one “20/40 BSS Intolerant Channel Report” element to AP. If the report includes a channel in its channel list that is within the +/- 40 MHz of its set channel, the AP will fall back to 20 MHz mode.
So really what I need to do is change my laptop as it's holding back the network?

Toon

So really what I need to do is change my laptop as it's holding back the network?

or switch out iuts adapter to a dual band one , but prob easier to get a new laptop with at least a 5 gig ac 867M adapter in it

2.4 gig is never going to be as fast as 5 gig ac

I'm in the market for a new laptop tbh, but this could also be a good purchase. Thank you.

Hoping after this I can ramp up the 2.4ghz band.

Toon

No you would want to use the 5GHz band of the adapter.

No you would want to use the 5GHz band of the adapter.
Apologies, bad wording by myself prior. I'm hoping that getting the slow laptop off my network will allow my 2.4ghz speed to pick up by allowing me to adjust the settings for higher output.

Toon

Apologies, bad wording by myself prior. I'm hoping that getting the slow laptop off my network will allow my 2.4ghz speed to pick up by allowing me to adjust the settings for higher output.

Toon

No matter what you do the 2.4 will be slow as it is falling back to 20 due to most likely other networks around you.

You could try setting mode to 40 only but it would be better to ditch the 2.4 band if you want the best speeds.

No matter what you do the 2.4 will be slow as it is falling back to 20 due to most likely other networks around you.

You could try setting mode 40 only but it would be better to ditch the 2.4 band if you want the best speeds.
Wish I could drop it, unfortunately most SMART HOME devices want 2.4ghz and for good reason due to how they are spread across the home.

What effect would turning on 40hz only be?

Toon

Not all AP's do - I purposely keep one around that will not, just for testing... if I set it to 40MHz, it will do that forever until it's changed...

For the AP's that do try 20/40 coexistence, I still recommend they be set for 20MHz only, so that performance and the user experience is consistent...

If one wants to go fast - go 5GHz...

Wish I could drop it, unfortunately most SMART HOME devices want 2.4ghz and for good reason due to how they are spread across the home.

What effect would turning on 40hz only be?

Many SmartHome devices prefer 2.4GHz for two reasons - it's cheap, and it's common compared to 5GHz.

Turning on 40MHz channels interferes with neighbors on WiFi, and also reduces the available interference free channels for Bluetooth that also runs in the 2.4GHz space, and devices that do the SmartHome might not be doing WiFi, but rather Bluetooth...

@ToonTonic, Read about "Optimize AMPDU aggregation" in Professional tab, just in case you want it one. Btw, it it your intention to increase Group key interval rotation?