What's new

Solved Port Forwarding not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glsmith86

Occasional Visitor
Hy Everybody!

I have an ASUS RT-AX56U router with Merlin firmware (ver: 386.7_2). Port forward isn't working. Firewall drop all incoming packets.

iptables --list command doesn't contain VSERVER chain. Forward only works after example "iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 81 -j ACCEPT".

Please help!

Are you perhaps running the router's OpenVPN client at the same time? Any devices bound to the VPN will NOT be reachable over the WAN if that's the case.

P.S. "iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 81 -j ACCEPT" is NOT a port forward. That's just simply opening a port on the router. A port forward "forwards" from the router to some WLAN/LAN device, and would show up as a DNAT rule in the NAT table.

There is a screenshot from forwards.
Képernyőkép ekkor: 2022-09-14 18-30-42.png

Are you perhaps running the router's OpenVPN client at the same time? Any devices bound to the VPN will NOT be reachable over the WAN if that's the case.

P.S. "iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 81 -j ACCEPT" is NOT a port forward. That's just simply opening a port on the router. A port forward "forwards" from the router to some WLAN/LAN device, and would show up as a DNAT rule in the NAT table.
No run OpenVPN.

What port or ports are you having problems with?

Is it only port 81? If it is you'll have to provide more details as to what service is running on this port.

You can NOT port forward to the router (192.168.1.1)! You can only port forward to rest of the WLAN/LAN devices. I've discussed this before in another thread.

That's why your example of manually adding an INPUT rule works. It's NOT a port forward.

Note too, I've suggested that the router *could* be enhanced by the developer (@RMerlin) to make it possible to use the port forwarding feature of the GUI in this fashion, as other routers sometimes do (e.g., DD-WRT). But so far that hasn't happened.

Last edited:
You can NOT port forward to the router (192.168.1.1)! You can only port forward to rest of the WLAN/LAN devices. I've discussed this before in another thread.

That's why your example of manually adding an INPUT rule works. It's NOT a port forward.

Note too, I've suggested that the router *could* be enhanced by the developer (@RMerlin) to make it possible to use the port forwarding feature of the GUI in this fashion, as other routers sometimes do (e.g., DD-WRT). But so far that hasn't happened.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Before my asus system I use 2 TP-Link Archer C7 with OpenWRT. There I can forward ports to the router ports. I don't need to set up rules for it.

Before my asus system I use 2 TP-Link Archer C7 with OpenWRT. There I can forward ports to the router ports. I don't need to set up rules for it.

As I said, some firmware has been enhanced to support it, including DD-WRT. Others like Merlin and FreshTomato have NOT. I've even made an explicit request to do so w/ FreshTomato, which AFAICT, has NOT been implemented.

So you just have to be lucky w/ your current firmware.