What's new

Port Forwarding/Port Triggering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tlavarea

Occasional Visitor
Need some help with hitting a home server from outside my home network. I have the following setup:

1. Home server sitting behind R7800 Voxel v64 hard wired
2. R7800 Voxel v64 Router connected to internet
3. Domain and DDNS record registered which points to my WAN IP
4. Three rules for port forwarding from R7800 Voxel v64 router to my home server IP
5. Added the following rule to my /etc/netwall.conf file:
ACCEPT net fw tcp 22,80,443​

I cannot hit my home server from outside using the WAN IP nor when I used the registered domain name. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
At one point it was working. Unfortunately I don't know what changed so I don't think my ISP blocks it. Within my internal LAN I have no problems hitting that home server.

I've tried https://canyouseeme.org/ with my IP and it shows that it sees my service on those ports.

Are you sure your ISP isn't blocking those ports? Can you hit it if you use your actual home server's IP address?

Yes, it would seem so but it seems to me that the port forwarding is not working. If the outside can see my ports then the firewall has opened the ports however the router is not forwarding those requests to my home server inside the network.

Wait... If that works, then your router is working.

Yes, it would seem so but it seems to me that the port forwarding is not working. If the outside can see my ports then the firewall has opened the ports however the router is not forwarding those requests to my home server inside the network.
Try using non-standard ports on the WAN side instead of 22, 80 and 443. Your ISP might be hijacking those common ports.

Tried different ports and now it works. Probably an ISP issue. Thank you for the suggestion.

Check with your ISP to see if they can unblock them. They often do that to prevent port scanners from finding vulnerabilities on their customers' systems. Also, they don't generally want you running a webserver unless you have a business account.

Another question, let's say I wanted to take this a step further and have my R7800 router connect to VPN. Would I still be able to hit my server? Or would I have to add some routing to the VPN config?

Check with your ISP to see if they can unblock them. They often do that to prevent port scanners from finding vulnerabilities on their customers' systems. Also, they don't generally want you running a webserver unless you have a business account.

Tried different ports and now it works. Probably an ISP issue. Thank you for the suggestion.
I don't have a Netgear router but it might be worth checking that those services (SSH, HTTP and HTTPS) aren't being enabled to the internet by the router itself. In which case the router might be taking priority over your port forwarding rules.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!