What's new

Port forwarding - Stumped

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rstark18

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to help a friend set up a simple IP camera. We had it setup and working at his old place but he just moved and can't get it working with the new ISP/Router.

What we are trying to do is port forward so that he can view his cam outside of his LAN. At his new place his ISP is Spectrum and the router he is using is RAC2V1K ( https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/RAC2V1K Askey Wave 2.pdf ).

When we set up the port forwarding rule everything looks fine but the port does not seem to be visible from outside the LAN (testing using CanYouSeeMe.org).
We are trying to open port 1223 to only TCP for his local IP of 192.168.1.89.

This should be very simple but we can't get it to work. Any ideas?

Maybe his ISP doesn't give him a publicly accessible IP address.

I don't think so. I say that because I live in the same area and I have the same ISP (Spectrum). My port forwarding works fine. The only difference is I use my own modem and router whereas he has the Spectrum provided ones that I listed above. I'm thinking it's something to do with his router but I can't figure out what.

Nmap remotely and do a quick DMZ test, as in assign the camera as DMZ. If the results don't change then there's something up inbetween or with the router. The ISP might be using CGN, check your WAN assigned IP versus a what is my IP check ... Or remotely monitor ICMP while pinging and check source address.

It's hard to tell straight off.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Some ISPs block certain port ranges, maybe try using PAT and assign it into a different range. Nmap will help easily show when a change makes a difference.

Nmap remotely and do a quick DMZ test, as in assign the camera as DMZ. If the results don't change then there's something up inbetween or with the router. The ISP might be using CGN, check your WAN assigned IP versus a what is my IP check ... Or remotely monitor ICMP while pinging and check source address.

It's hard to tell straight off.

We did try assigning the cam to DMZ. No luck.
The WAN assigned IP is the same as what's my IP.
Also, don't forget I personally have the exact same service from the same ISP and live two miles away so I would think it's unlikely it's anything the ISP is doing.

I didn't want to complicate the explanation but here it goes.
He is living in a front duplex and the owner lives in the back. They share the internet service but he has full access with the owners permission to login and change router settings.
That being said the owner had no problems setting up a Ring doorbell cam using the default settings.

Then using an off-port in a higher range might be the go. If you have port forwarding working for something else, try copying that rule with a slight alteration to the forwarded port.

Then using an off-port in a higher range might be the go. If you have port forwarding working for something else, try copying that rule with a slight alteration to the forwarded port.

There are no other forwarding rules so there isn't anything else to duplicate. I will try using a higher number but seeing as DMZ didn't work either I have my doubts.

There are no other forwarding rules so there isn't anything else to duplicate. I will try using a higher number but seeing as DMZ didn't work either I have my doubts.
Well DMZ doesn't remap the port so if the port is blocked by the ISP, DMZ isn't going to help. It doesn't hurt to try ...

I guess I misunderstood the ring doorbell setup ...