What's new

Possibility to schedule guestwifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Berggren

New Around Here
Hi guys!

First I like to say that my first language isn´t English so please bare with me regarding the grammatical and spelling errors I will make.

The question I have is if there is any chance to be able to schedule tha guestwifi in the same manor that I can do with the ordinary wifi using the parantal controls?

I have limited the kids access to the wifi in the following way.
ON 8 - 9
OFF 9 - 10
ON 10 - 11
And so on during the day to eventually shut off completely 8´oclock at night.
This to make them leave the devices for a period of time and not risking them to sit in front of the internet all day every day :)
This works great and they don´t complain at all.
But now I would like to be able to do so with the guestwifi also, so their friends can use our internet in the same way without granting them access to our internal network.
Is this doable?
I know some suggests using 5GHz as the guestwifi since you can control the amount of time using the parental controls there but I use our 5GHz on some of our devices so it´s really a no go for me.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Using the Asus RT-AC87U with Merlin FW 380.62

Regards Berggren

Hi guys!

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Using the Asus RT-AC87U with Merlin FW 380.62

Regards Berggren

There are several threads describing techniques on how to control the Guest Wifi access though use of scripting.

e.g. via cron schedule

Option 1. Auto Change/rotate the Guest SSID password
Option 2. Silently block/disrupt the Guest SSID traffic
Option 3. DISABLE/ENABLE the Guest SSID/Radio

Options 2 will only affect the clients connected to the target Guest Wifi SSID, whereas option 3 (and possibly 1) will temporarily impact ALL router Wifi conecections.

Options 1 and 3 are described:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/disabling-guest-wifi-at-night.22874/#post-167315

Option 2 may not be instantaneous/comprehensive, but is sufficient to stop Youtube! i.e. the current Youtube video may continue to play but should prevent a new video from starting:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/disable-internet-for-guest-network.29334/#post-231655

Here is my scripting which allows for option 1 or 3

Code:
e.g schedules

cru a Guest242OFF1900 "0 19 * * * /jffs/scripts/GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh wl0.2 off"
cru a Guest242ON0800  "0 8  * * * /jffs/scripts/GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh wl0.2 on force"
cru l
0 19 * * * /jffs/scripts/GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh wl0.2 off #Guest242OFF1900#
0 8  * * * /jffs/scripts/GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh wl0.2 on force #Guest242ON0800#

RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi Access management Starting. [wl0.2 on force]
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13197 WiFi Guest wl0.2 radio already ON (1)
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13197 Martineau Guest WiFi SSID: BR2G242 (wl0.2) Internet access allowed...
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13197 Martineau Guest WiFi Internet access Complete.

RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi Access management Starting. [wl0.2 off]
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi SSID: BR2G242 (wl0.2) Internet access denied...
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi Internet access Complete.

RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi Access management Starting. [wl0.2 off force]
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Restarting ALL WiFi Radios (wl0.2)
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi SSID: BR2G242 (wl0.2) Internet access denied...
RT-AC68U user.warn (GuestAccess_ON_OFF.sh): 13137 Martineau Guest WiFi Internet access Complete.

Last edited: