What's new

Power consumption is on buyers list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vad1mo

New Around Here
Hi,
I would like to recommend to also measure the power consumption of routers and NAS devices.

Power consumption of wireless routers is increasing due to new speed records and more powerful routers.

The router producers do not always provide accurate power consumption data if any.

My recommendation is that you should measure power consumption in standby mode, idle mode, and normal operation mode.

Cheers,
Vadimo

Hi,
I would like to recommend to also measure the power consumption of routers and NAS devices.

Power consumption of wireless routers is increasing due to new speed records and more powerful routers.

The router producers do not always provide accurate power consumption data if any.

My recommendation is that you should measure power consumption in standby mode, idle mode, and normal operation mode.

Cheers,
Vadimo

1. But routers use the same or smaller wallwarts these days. I will connect a "killawatt" to a few of my routers and post data later this weekend fwiw.

2. SNB does mention power draw in most of its NAS reviews (on both boot up and typical usage). I have multiple profiles on my Synology to choose from with varying degrees of fan operation induced cooling vs noise preference as well as inactivity based sleep/idle mode (vs trade off for speed in coming alive the next time you access it). And spinning HDs use less and less power every year as well.

I was kind of wrong, my new Asus RT-N66 does use more power (12 watts) than an old Linksys 54GL (2 watts), but 12 watts is still pretty low for something that has the computing power it has, and its two radios running around 100mw of TX power each.

My Synology 212+ w/ 2x WD 3TB reds, and also powering 2 x 2.5" drives off the USB bus uses around 30 watts, and that's with fans in "cool & loud" mode. That was also measured while NAS was moving files. I think this is pretty power thrifty since it's not even taking into account the sleep mode the drives & NAS fall into during long periods of inactivity.

Unbnk5f.jpg

Also most modern enterprise switches (I have a 24 port D-link gigabit unmanaged) automatically adjust power needs for a given length of cable. I don't believe my switch even has a fan because it runs so cool.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!