What's new

Powerline Adapter for Wireless Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D._Manley

Occasional Visitor
My son has a problem with wireless signal in parts of his home primarily, his kitchen, dining & master bedroom. Construction details make running ethernet a royal pain. He would like to have good wireless access for laptop, e-reader and streaming to his bedroom.

He has 100 Mbps Internet from Comcast using their combination modem with wireless & home phone. I have a perfectly usable Netgear WNDR 3400 V2 router I'm not using and am looking at the Netgear Power line 1200 (+ extra outlet) AV2 MIMO powerline adapter to maximize throughput for streaming.

Any thoughts on this Netgear router & powerline setup? I've only used powerline adapters for other, non-demanding task in the past.

Give it a try. Our tests show AV2 MIMO adapters can produce > 150 Mbps in our farthest test location.

You may have to hunt down and remove noise sources like cellphone chargers. It's good you're getting the model with filtered passthrough AC outlet. That can help with location flexibility.

Thank you so much for your validation. I actually researched the link provided and used it for a guideline in selecting that set of powerline adapters. They might be a bit of overkill based on his Internet speed but here, I would rather have the extra cushion as insurance. As I said in the OP, my experience with the adapters is limited and I've never tried them in a situation that demanding the throughput that streaming requires & just trying to avoid pitfalls. The write-ups are terrific help, BTW - thanks again.