What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus made some low-level changes to better secure the httpd server against running unwanted programs, which means the Connection page is no longer compatible. The issue has already been addressed on my local development tree by reverting that page to Asus' own implementation, and implementing the missing name resolution feature to the existing System Log -> Netstat. That page uses the more secure netools service that Asus implemented a while ago.
@RMerlin will the page be removed as its basically obsolete now?

RT-AC88U upgraded from 384.4_2 to 384.5 Alpha 1
Currently using Asus.com for DDNS, now get warning message of Unauthorized Registration Request
Rolling back to 384.4_2 and no longer receive warning message.

RT-AC88U upgraded from 384.4_2 to 384.5 Alpha 1
Currently using Asus.com for DDNS, now get warning message of Unauthorized Registration Request
Rolling back to 384.4_2 and no longer receive warning message.
A reset to factory defaults and jffs format would have likely fixed that.

Asus has made changes to the whole RT-AC68U family in the closed-source firmware validation code
if you flash the latest 384_206xx firmware from Asus (or 384.5 alpha which is based on it), you can no longer flash back to older versions (I don't know how much older is prevented however).
Bizarre... I have no problem to flash 384.5_a1 and downgrade to 380.70 beta and return to 384.5 A1.And no need to put the router on "rescue" mode.

Now i am back on 380.70 , waiting for code 384 to become a bit more mature. :)
P.S: 384.5_a1 worked perfectly, but I have to leave for a few days for work and I want to avoid a divorce :eek: if something goes wrong, so I returned to 380 .

384.5 is promising for the time I have tested it.

Last edited:
I finally finished wiping and re programming the RT-AC5300. All is working well so far with the 384.5_alpha1-g91229ac software installed.
I wiped the router using the reset button as well as the WPS button then gave it time to boot for the first time.
I ended up removing the USB storage until all of the programming on the Wan and Lan tabs was completed. I formatted the USB in EXT4 and installed it once I was ready to install Entware. I installed Entware and NTP daemon and then programmed all the DHCP reservations. I then uploaded all the scripts to the JFFS directory and set permissions. Also rebooting the router in between each of the steps. then finally completing the programming with the port forwarding. It took me most of the day but all is done now and all seems to be working finally.
Great work on the software @RMerlin ! The router seems to be running smooth. Thank for your hard work.

@RMerlin will the page be removed as its basically obsolete now?

Probably not, because it's also there in the stock firmware. I don't really understand why Asus keeps both tho, maybe they forgot to remove it when they implemented the netools service.

Bizarre... I have no problem to flash 384.5_a1 and downgrade to 380.70 beta and return to 384.5 A1.And no need to put the router on "rescue" mode.

Maybe the RT-AC1900P wasn't affected, since it's an older model. The RT-AC66U_B1 would probably have at the very least the 380_1031 validation enforced since it has a BCM4709C0 (that won't work with older firmware releases), so maybe Asus just bumped that minimum version to a higher value on that model (and maybe all models based on a BCM4709C0).

Completed a second pass at the OpenVPN Client settings:

https://www.lostrealm.ca/temp/openvpnclient2.png

What is the difference with Alpha 1 right now in OpenVPN client? (I'm sorry in advance for my noob question)

Eric, this icon is new in RT-AC86U alpha2, right?

mmxRas1.png

Great improvements, congrats! :)

What is the difference with Alpha 1 right now in OpenVPN client? (I'm sorry in advance for my noob question)

Eric, this icon is new in RT-AC86U alpha2, right?

mmxRas1.png

Great improvements, congrats! :)

Eric is revamping/changing his OpenVPN configuration pages, Client/Server, with better layout, removed unused option, etc.

That icon is not new, it's means adaptive QOS custom network usage mode has been choosen.

Check the changelog that came with it, I don't remember for this specific build.

@RMerlin Wow crickets!! Bring on Alpha 2!:p

Rt-AC3200 using alpha 2 is up and running. Checking for bugs. :)

RTAC5300 up and running on alpha 2

all wireless devices report incorrect password
** Preform Default of build, and rebuild from scratch
All wireless devices connect properly

Client list now correctly shows WiFi for 2.4 5G-1 AND 5G-2 bands, no longer listed as wired.

VPN pages still reporting incorrect character

s.1523082788.jpg

- Now the refresh function works and the button has been moved below
- Feedback tab was removed in Administration

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!