What's new

[Preview 384/NG] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.5 early test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AC86U, schedule reboot something not work, it restart withou connection both calbe and wifi, no signal, need to power off and on to restart

Why the feedback was removed
as they will tell you that you are using merlin and they dont support this, so senseless to send them feedback out of merlin!

At least this happened to me, though I wrote my feedback when using asuswrt, then I changed to merlin to solve my problems but still had them, after days they contacted me and said no support with merlin, so I changed back to asuswrt, but the never replied anymore to my mails ...

Last edited:
Getting the following with alpha 2 on my AC86U....

Apr 7 06:23:25 Mastiff: Got SIGABRT
Apr 7 06:23:29 rc_service: watchdog 823:notify_rc stop_aae
Apr 7 06:23:29 rc_service: watchdog 823:notify_rc start_mastiff
Apr 7 06:23:29 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Apr 7 06:23:29 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:23:29 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:23:30 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:23:30 AAE: AAE Service is started
Apr 7 06:23:30 Mastiff: init
Apr 7 06:23:37 crond[813]: time disparity of 601096 minutes detected
Apr 7 06:24:05 Mastiff: Got SIGABRT
Apr 7 06:24:30 rc_service: watchdog 823:notify_rc stop_aae
Apr 7 06:24:30 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:24:30 rc_service: watchdog 823:notify_rc start_mastiff
Apr 7 06:24:30 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Apr 7 06:24:30 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:24:31 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:24:31 AAE: AAE Service is started
Apr 7 06:24:31 Mastiff: init
Apr 7 06:25:06 Mastiff: Got SIGABRT
Apr 7 06:25:31 rc_service: watchdog 823:notify_rc stop_aae
Apr 7 06:25:31 rc_service: watchdog 823:notify_rc start_mastiff
Apr 7 06:25:31 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:25:31 rc_service: waitting "stop_aae" via watchdog ...
Apr 7 06:25:31 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:25:32 NAT_Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Apr 7 06:25:32 AAE: AAE Service is started
Apr 7 06:25:32 Mastiff: init

RTAC5300 up and running on alpha 2

all wireless devices report incorrect password
** Preform Default of build, and rebuild from scratch
All wireless devices connect properly

Client list now correctly shows WiFi for 2.4 5G-1 AND 5G-2 bands, no longer listed as wired.

VPN pages still reporting incorrect character
All I had to do there when that happened was change a setting in wireless and save.

Still can’t reach the router or or the internet when using OpenVPN on my AC86U with Alpha 2 (384.4 was the last one that was OK for me).

Unfortunately currently too busy to investigate (or start from scratch)...

Installed Alpha 2 on AC86U with a overlay on Alpha 1 and no issues. Forgot to remove the USB stick (as like Alpha 1 install...err..), but all went ok anyways. Also installed ok on AC87U running as AP (message after install, to Power Off/On...didn't get that on the AC86U).
384.5 Alpha 1&2 certainly smoother/snappier then the earlier 384 levels. Also no problems anymore with my Slingbox on Alpha 1&2....which started with the earlier 384 levels (380 was ok).
| Forgot to add...QOS settings retained now after a Power off/on...yippee...

Last edited:
RMerlin, thank you for fixing miniDLNA status page. Both 384.5alpha1 and 384.5alpha2 have been working without issue on my RT-AC68U.

Happy to report nothing. :D Everything running well on 384.5 alpha 2. I only see one problem with my router and its closed source anyway (QOS startup). Great work once again @RMerlin ! :cool:
EDIT: The QOS errors on startup do not impact the operation of QOS or the router in any way.

Happy to report nothing. :D Everything running well on 384.5 alpha 2. I only see one problem with my router and its closed source anyway (QOS startup). Great work once again @RMerlin ! :cool:
EDIT: The QOS errors on startup do not impact the operation of QOS or the router in any way.
I decided to take the alpha plunge on my puny setup :D and all is running great.

I upgraded from 384.4_2 and all seemed well. I then reset to factory defaults, just to start off clean. The GUI seems much more responsive. Doesn’t feel like an alpha.

Great work by Eric, as always!

AC86U on 384.5 alpha2 working fine along with Skynet and ab-solution. Thanks Merlin.

Updated to alpha-2 and after update router gone in default mode, (192.168.1.1) reloaded CFG and all working fine.
Thanks for update!

Why the feedback was removed

Because that feature sends the Feedback to Asus. You shouldn't be sending feedback and debug logs of a third-party firmware to them.

That page has always been disabled in the past, it just got accidentally re-enabled following changes Asus did in the latest GPL merge.

RT-AC5300 working well with 384.5 alpha2. Upgraded without removing the USB and all went well.
The router is running well right now. I did notice that my memory or RAM did increase to 44% from 38# but still running very well.
@RMerlin Thanks for this great software.

Stupid question, how does one revert back to 384.4_2? I tried flashing using Chrome and IE but when it finishes, it shows up as the exact same firmware. I restored factory defaults, even tried putting it in restore mode but neither is applying the firmware.

Model?

Maybe its because you have USB devices plugged in, if so, remove it, reboot to free-up memory, and reflash.
Edit : and do a complete power cycle after :)

Last edited:
Model?

Maybe its because you have USB devices plugged in, if so, remove it, reboot to free-up memory, and reflash.
Edit : and do a complete power cycle after :)
RT-AC68U

No USB devices connected, disabled any other onboard/wireless NICs on my computer too. This all started with this alpha firmware. /sigh

RT-AC68U

No USB devices connected, disabled any other onboard/wireless NICs on my computer too. This all started with this alpha firmware. /sigh

Read back RMerlins comments.
He mentioned something about the AC68U not being able to downgrade from 384.5.
It may not be that but it’s worth checking.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!