What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off big thanks to RMerlin for all his hard work and adding the 87R to the updates.

Just updated RT-AC87R from firmware 380.68_4 to 384.4_alpha2 no factory reset. Everything seems to be running smooth. Only thing is in the network map device list anything that is on the 5ghz wifi is labeled as a wired connection. So all Amazon and Apple devices are showing as wired.

First off big thanks to RMerlin for all his hard work and adding the 87R to the updates.

Just updated RT-AC87R from firmware 380.68_4 to 384.4_alpha2 no factory reset. Everything seems to be running smooth. Only thing is in the network map device list anything that is on the 5ghz wifi is labeled as a wired connection. So all Amazon and Apple devices are showing as wired.

I believe ASUS moved the network map stuff to closed source.. so only ASUS can fix it.

I just upgraded my RT-5300 to 384.4 and the web interface is blown apart and i have no access to anything but the index.asp that is blown apart with no links.

Any know how to fix this?

You need to factory reset when upgrading from 380, else things will slowly stop working or mess up.

You need to factory reset when upgrading from 380, else things will slowly stop working or mess up.

Thought it was not necessary. Only if problems occurred? I will go ahead and do a factory reset a bit later once everyone else in the family is off the WiFi. Thank you

b/g protection doesn't apply to N only, hence greyed out. What channel width are you using?

I think I figured it out. 20 or 20/40 doesn't get my clients above 72Mbps. Switching to 40 does. Counter-intuitive as I expected clients who are capable of 20 AND 40 to be capable of 20/40 and negotiate the 40Mhz channel bandwidth. Now at 40 my true N clients report 150 and 300. I will do more research, I think the 72Mbps is a 'half 150' limitation when in 20/40 mode.

I think I figured it out. 20 or 20/40 doesn't get my clients above 72Mbps. Switching to 40 does. Counter-intuitive as I expected clients who are capable of 20 AND 40 to be capable of 20/40 and negotiate the 40Mhz channel bandwidth. Now at 40 my true N clients report 150 and 300. I will do more research, I think the 72Mbps is a 'half 150' limitation when in 20/40 mode.

That's normal, since you have old clients. Newer clients for N even on 20 reach the 150 w/out the 40. I don't recommend you enabling 40mhz for 2.4gh unless you live in the desert. Also setting it to 40Mhz and getting 150 does not necessary mean you are achieving those speeds since the noise level of your overlapping channels will drop you. In short, stick to 20mhz for 2.4

Just upgraded my RT-AC5300 to 384.4_alpha2-g508109e and am noticing a couple of things:
  1. The CPU activity seems a lot more bursty - whereas normally it'd hover around the low 0-10% range on both cores, now I see it peak a lot more often, that said, the graph seems more responsive, so maybe I'm seeing what was actually going on in the past :)

2. The right column of the front page's alignment's off (at least in Ubuntu 17.10 Chromium 64.0.3282.140) - it immediately abuts middle column, but the heading "System/Internet/Client... Status" is where it should be

3. Key based SSH access has stopped working.
    I have SSH on my router configured thusly:
    * Enable SSH: LAN Only
    * Allow SSH port forwarding: Yes (tried toggling, didn't think it'd be related, but tried anyway)
    * SSH Port: 22
    * Allow password login: No
    * Enable SSH brute force protection: Yes (also tried no)
    * Authorized Keys: Just my 4K RSA public key (tried removing spaces in the key comment as well, just in case)

Edit: I'm an idiot - it works - just my linux command history had root@ in it for a 192.168.x.x address when I was talking to another device, not that of my AC-5300.. DUUUUH.. my bad :)

4. As the router was initially rebooting after upgrade ("manually reboot your router now" as I have an intermediate network switch), I got shown a page from a cut down ASUS web interface? I take it this was some sort of bootloader recovery interface as it loading full firmware? I didn't select any options, and eventually the router came online.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else is having trouble with time but my system seems to drift by (right now) 7 minutes. This only started with the alpha 2. The stable 384.3 does not have this issue as far as I know. My uptime is only:
Uptime 0 days 16 hours 10 minute(s) 40 seconds Can anyone else confirm this? The router I'm using is AC3100. If I restart ntp using this:
Code:
service restart_ntp
The time is corrected. The last ntp entry in the logs was 4 hours earlier so that means the drift is 7 minutes in just 4 hours.
Edit: After running service restart_ntp I'm again losing time so far 3 minutes and the restart was only 10 minutes ago.
Edit2: I watched the time drift again and instead refreshed the general log page and the time corrected itself. So now I'm not sure if this is a ntp problem or a webui problem. Any ideas @RMerlin ?

Last edited:
Openvpn speed.

I upgrade my ac86u from 384.3 stable to 384.4 alpha 2, openvpn is only got 23M/s download and uplaod is 40M/s, both side have 1000M of wan. without vpn, direct with ftp, the speed is over 600M to 800M, is that normal. many thanks.

Not sure if anyone else is having trouble with time but my system seems to drift by (right now) 7 minutes. This only started with the alpha 2. The stable 384.3 does not have this issue as far as I know. My uptime is only:
Uptime 0 days 16 hours 10 minute(s) 40 seconds Can anyone else confirm this? The router I'm using is AC3100. If I restart ntp using this:
Code:
service restart_ntp
The time is corrected. The last ntp entry in the logs was 4 hours earlier so that means the drift is 7 minutes in just 4 hours.
Edit: After running service restart_ntp I'm again losing time so far 3 minutes and the restart was only 10 minutes ago.
Edit2: I watched the time drift again and instead refreshed the general log page and the time corrected itself. So now I'm not sure if this is a ntp problem or a webui problem. Any ideas @RMerlin ?

@skeal I checked my 88U Uptime 1 days 19 hours 14 minute(s) 47 seconds, and my time has not been off. I am using "pool.ntp.org".

Code:
service restart_ntp
I have over 7 days of uptime and my RT-AC68R time is the same as my Linux client time, so no problem here.

@skeal I checked my 88U Uptime 1 days 19 hours 14 minute(s) 47 seconds, and my time has not been off. I am using "pool.ntp.org".
Leave yourself on the general log page. Check exact time in about 5 minutes of being on the general log page. My time comparison between the page and actual drifts. I'm sure its a webui thing because when you discover that the time out you can refresh the page and the time is corrected. ** Note this only works if you stay on the log page and watch and compare.

Code:
service restart_ntp

Since it is a short period time.. to see if it is webgui problem, maybe try tail -f /tmp/syslog.log to see the log.
Maybe try clear cache? Change browser?

I am using the dnscrypt-proxy installer for the timezone. And my uptime is around 48hr. Time accurate. Alpha1. Ac68

Since it is a short period time.. to see if it is webgui problem, maybe try tail -f /tmp/syslog.log to see the log.
Maybe try clear cache? Change browser?

I am using the dnscrypt-proxy installer for the timezone. And my uptime is around 48hr. Time accurate. Alpha1. Ac68
You guys are missing the point. When the page is loaded or refreshed it shows the exact time. Its when you hang out for a while that the time drifts.

Hang out and compare and don't refresh just watch.

You guys are missing the point. When the page is loaded or refreshed it shows the exact time.
Ok.. notice the drift.... the system time on the general log vs the log. Log is faster than router system time. But the log time is still same as my pc time. Only router time slow.
I see no problem with the log.

5813_B96_F-13_FE-45_AF-88_E5-16996_FF85_CCA.jpg

But who would leave the general log page on and stare at it? If we need to check, we would have log in and go to that page to see and the time will be accurate.

Lol..

Last edited:
Ok.. notice the drift.... the system time on the general log vs the log. Log is faster than router system time. But the log time is still same as my pc time. Only router time slow.

But who would leave the general log page on and stare at it? If we need to check, we would have log in and go to that page to see and the time will be accurate.

Lol..
How about when you are expecting log entries on the fly? I must admit a log server is much better at this.

How about when you are expecting log entries on the fly? I must admit a log server is much better at this.
I would have it done at terminal and tail it indefinite

Status
Not open for further replies.