What's new

[Preview] Early Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 test builds are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Had 2g/5g wifi issues on 5+ apple devices; facebook app worked, safari didn't, nor did the app store; wifi laptop connected just fine with no issues. Same results with both RT-AC68U_384.6_alpha revisions g4284a1146 & gc644a0c; reverting back to 384.5 worked just fine. Apples worked with 385.6 with factory defaults; but importing settings & jffs backups resulted in the problem reoccurring. 384.5 fixed the problem swiftly without having to mess around. I'm assuming manually changing the settings without importing a backup could be a work around, have you found this often to be the case also?

Wifi is outside of my control, and is often more influenced by configuration/environment than by the driver itself. Disable airtime fairness and implicit/universal beamforming for starter, quite a few devices have compatibility issues with these.

The privacy alerts at install and the Admin-Privacy tab in the gui are new.

Added by Asus in 21045, for legal reasons. I cannot guarantee that withdrawing permission will work for all models tho, since I don't have corresponding GPL for all of them.

So far after downloading 5.5 Gigs of data, I see no upload spikes in the Traffic Analyzer that 384.5 had every 4 gigs. So, between Asus and you, that seems to be corrected. Thanks for your efforts!

Enabling the switch-based traffic monitoring fixed it. I guess that means Asus has fixed whatever issue that code used to have which prevent me from using it back when it was introduced.

I have USB modem-related fixes lined up for the next test build. Another dev tracked down an issue in Asus's 382/384 code relative to how modules were loaded.

Alpha 2 working excellant on my AC86U.

@RMerlin, thanks very much for your builds, very much appreciated.

Wifi is outside of my control, and is often more influenced by configuration/environment than by the driver itself. Disable airtime fairness and implicit/universal beamforming for starter, quite a few devices have compatibility issues with these.

I did a firmware update, did a factory restore and still have the same iot device issues. I also change the setting per your instructions.
I can see my devices on the network, but they are not showing that they are live on the phone app. I haven't tried Netflix yet so I'll have to report back.
I dont get it...it worked a few revs ago...
Any other suggestions?

I can see my devices on the network, but they are not showing that they are live on the phone app. I haven't tried Netflix yet so I'll have to report back.
I dont get it...it worked a few revs ago...
Any other suggestions?

What do you mean by “see my devices on the network”? Via networkmap/client list? From the IoT device web GUI?

Maybe worth trying “forgetting” the network settings on the IoT devices and put in the wireless passwords again.

What do you mean by “see my devices on the network”? Via networkmap/client list? From the IoT device web GUI?

Maybe worth trying “forgetting” the network settings on the IoT devices and put in the wireless passwords again.
I'll give that ago again, but I just tried the Stock Asus firmware RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_384_20942-ge38bead.trx and everything came back to life. Netflix also works.

Just short of 24 hours on my router. Basic set up; nothing weird. I did notice a couple of hits on my AiProtection--the first in a month, so it does seem to be active again.

Thanks again, Merlin!

I'll give that ago again, but I just tried the Stock Asus firmware RT-AC88U_3.0.0.4_384_20942-ge38bead.trx and everything came back to life. Netflix also works.

Hmm.. That’s odd since the wireless drivers should be close or identical to the ones in alpha2 :/

What if you dirty flash to alpha2 now from stock 20942?

Hmm.. That’s odd since the wireless drivers should be close or identical to the ones in alpha2 :/

What if you dirty flash to alpha2 now from stock 20942?
I've been spending so much time on this...sigh...
So I have backtracked the firmware. I worked my way down from the current merlin release to 380.69_2, and this is the closets firmware to current that I could get all IOT devices working correctly.

Kinda funny, 380.69_2 works with my IOT devices, but Netflix does not work. I need to turn Aiprotection- DNS filtering off for it to work. Or add the device to the no filtering list.

New thought... If it is DNS causing the IOT devices not to work correctly (and it kinda makes sense) I should be able to add all my IOT devices to the non filtered list, and in theory the issue should be gone.
I'll do a full update tomorrow and see if the problem goes away. That makes more sense than a driver issue.
I'll report back.

Last edited:
Kinda funny, 380.69_2 works with my IOT devices, but Netflix does not work. I need to turn Aiprotection- DNS filtering off for it to work. Or add the device to the no filtering list.

Curious.. I've never had Netflix not work, but I'll admit I've done all my Netflix over wired connections to my PC and Blu-ray player. Have a Laptop now I can test Wireless stuff with. Was able to watch Netflix on it fine. It's connected over the 2.4 Ghz. Running the alpha-2 on my RT-AC68U. I don't have any IOT devices. Nothing related to QoS is enabled. But, since I have a different router.. might be moot.

Curious.. I've never had Netflix not work, but I'll admit I've done all my Netflix over wired connections to my PC and Blu-ray player. Have a Laptop now I can test Wireless stuff with. Was able to watch Netflix on it fine. It's connected over the 2.4 Ghz. Running the alpha-2 on my RT-AC68U. I don't have any IOT devices. Nothing related to QoS is enabled. But, since I have a different router.. might be moot.

I was trying to play netflix on a hard line with a smart TV. It just started working once I put it in the no filter list.

I think it will be a 50/50 shot when I try everything again. I dont think I originally had aiprotection enabled, but not 100% sure. Regardless, I think I will turn on aiprotection and add the devices to no filter and see what the outcome is.

I've been spending so much time on this...sigh...
So I have backtracked the firmware. I worked my way down from the current merlin release to 380.69_2, and this is the closets firmware to current that I could get all IOT devices working correctly.

By current release you mean 384.5? So NOT alpha?

Updated my 86U to alpha 2 without issue so far. Using ab-solution, skynet and dnscript. Thanks Merlin!

had to go back t0 384.3 , 2,4 was slowing down and or disconnecting after a few hours sometimes minutes .

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!