What's new

[Preview] Early Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 test builds are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin,

I hope you are well. I noticed there are two AC86U alpha2 files on the site. Is there a difference between the two? I can only tell the timestamps are different on one vs. the other.

Thank you,

Johnathon

Use the newer one, it contains updated binary blobs for most models including 86U.

For alphas, best source for this information is from Github.

Just flashed the new A2 over the old A2 no issues. Looks like your caught up with Asus now. :):D

Absolutely. I would never allow a consumer grade router to face the internet. Strictly use them as access points only. Below is my current setup:

Code:
             internet
                |
                |
           cable modem
                |
                |
   ----  dynamic wan ip ----
  |                         |
  |          openbsd        |   <----- can't live without this
  |                         |
   ----- 10.255.255.1 -----
                |
                |
       rt-ac3100 (ap only)
                |
                |
           lan network

What packages are you running on openbsd? One can never tell who compiled the packages in a repo and what goodies they may have included. I'm sure you are compiling from source and running everything through static and dynamic code analysis right? Checking 3rd party libraries using something like blackduck?

Any chance the latest ac88 gpl will be used in this release Eric?

Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045

With all of the wireless issues i had with upgrading to the 384 code base, i want to keep the number of variables to a minimum and keep as close to the current stock as possible now that i've stabilized my network.

thanks for the consideration :)

Hehe, Thanks for such a quick turnaround!
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/c9dd1802e8b3749dfe5aa638f2d3faff6368067d

Last edited:
Trying to load alpha 2 RT-AC88U_384.6_alpha2-g5b076fc87 after trying stock 3.0.0.4.384_21045-gb451ba1 and its giving me an invalid firmware upload. I don't think I've ever seen this error trying to load merlin using the web ui. Guess I'll need to use recovery to flash back to the latest merlin?

Ok, after a few tries it worked. May be user error.

Last edited:
Hi. I am interested if that firmware have any changes related L2TP-Wi-Fi instability issue? I was posting that on official AsusWRT forum but nobody haven't answered.
Dear RMerlin would you please take closer look for this issue at AC86U? That'll be great since none of Asus reps paid any attention for that and number of affected people is thousands in CIS as part of our ISP uses L2TP to provide internet.
Huge thanks in advance.
Please read the FAQ: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/
First question under general support. WiFi stuff is closed source and Merlin can't do anything about it.

So does the 2nd release of Alpha 2 have the updated web server code for the 86U, potentially fixing a memory leak?

@RMerlin thank you for the response! I found the fix for wifi issues. All that was necessary was hitting "apply" on the "general" section of the Wifi page.

Any chance the latest ac88 gpl will be used in this release Eric?

Version 3.0.0.4.384.21045

With all of the wireless issues i had with upgrading to the 384 code base, i want to keep the number of variables to a minimum and keep as close to the current stock as possible now that i've stabilized my network.

thanks for the consideration :)

Hehe, Thanks for such a quick turnaround!
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/commit/c9dd1802e8b3749dfe5aa638f2d3faff6368067d

I can't, because the GPL released by Asus for the RT-AC88U is broken.

Just wanted to mention that 384.6_alpha2-g5b076fc87 seems to be working fine on my RT-AC68U. No upload spikes at the 4 Gig download mark.

This alpha build is working really well on AC3100. Thank you Eric!

Compiled it myself for RT-AC56U, version 384.6_alpha2-g5b076fc87 working fine for 48hrs now.

I can't, because the GPL released by Asus for the RT-AC88U is broken.

Interesting and is it the same for the 3100 ? Looking at the CL it clearly shows merged with GPL 21045/50624 except for 87.

NEW: Merged with GPL 384_21045/382_50624. (AC87U currently
missing)

Observation: This new alpha is really solid on my AC3100. No issues to report at all. Thanks Eric for the hard work!