What's new

Privacy Filter (Another IPSET Script)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

https://gitlab.com/swe_toast/privacy-filter/blob/master/privacy-filter.list

the list in general you could do a check for my script and if my script is located it could whitelist the domains and let my script work, that way if my script is not installed your users are covered anyways.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Ipset-script-installation-instructions#privacy-filter
While were at it, anything else I need to check for your scripts so they work well together?

Nope if the users followed the official install instruction on that page and the script is installed correctly all you have to do is check if the script is present and if it is remove the entries for those domains and let my script handle it.

The privacy-filter.list likely is modified by the user, adding or removing entries from it.
Best way I guess is to include it as a separate whitelist if found.

sure should work too just make sure that the script is also located so they dont have just the list
Sure, I'll add some if's and then's to the update script.

Should we refrain from installing your privacy or malware filter if we already have AB-Solution already installed?

Thanks in advance

Nope, its just that at the movement, privacy-filter doesnt block as much as intended this wil get resolved in due time @thelonelycoder is working on it so go ahead and install both filters, just dont expect privacy-filter to block 100+ hosts just yet.

There is a workaround on the AB-Solution thread but if your not that comfy in shell its better to just wait for the official fix to drop from AB-Solution.

malware-filter will work right out of the box there is no issue there with AB-Solution no idea how that rumor got started.

AB-Solution 3.8.1 is now available.
This addresses the filter.list problem that users of AB reported.

See this post for the changelog and what to do after the update.

it is normal double writing in syslog?i finally got working privacy filter and malware filter....ab-solution is very easy to install....i would like to test ublockr but whit this script i have problems to install.....
Code:
Apr 25 20:31:38 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 120 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 25 20:31:38 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 120 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.

Apr 25 20:34:16 system: Malware Filter (ipv4) loaded 32571 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 25 20:34:16 system: Malware Filter (ipv4) loaded 852 unique ip ranges that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 25 20:34:16 system: Malware Filter (ipv4) loaded 32571 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 25 20:34:16 system: Malware Filter (ipv4) loaded 852 unique ip ranges that will be rejected from contacting your router.

AB-Solution 3.8.1 is now available.
This addresses the filter.list problem that users of AB reported.

See this post for the changelog and what to do after the update.

I believe I followed the update instructions correctly. It appears that I am still not able to load all of the privacy-filter ip addresses. I rebooted and had the same result. I will try on the other routers I have this installed tonight to see what happens.

Code:
Apr 26 10:32:11 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 57 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 26 10:32:11 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 57 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.

Edit:
I had better results on the second router:
Code:
system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 121 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
I will rerun option U on the first router and report back..stay tuned.
I ran the update on ABS again followed by option u. I was surprised to see that it updated when I swear on a stack of bibles that I successfully updated it previously. WTF? It was around the same time two others report issues contacting the ABS server for the update. So maybe I got a false positive. I did get further along this time. After the update, I rebooted. In the log, I get

Code:
pr 26 11:22:18 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 0 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 26 11:22:18 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 0 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.
Apr 26 11:22:18 system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 0 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.

So, I ran from the command line:
Code:
nslookup: can't resolve 's.gateway.messenger.live.com'
nslookup: can't resolve 'settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com'
nslookup: can't resolve 'settings-win.data.microsoft.com'
nslookup: can't resolve 'telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com'
nslookup: can't resolve 'vortex.data.microsoft.com'
nslookup: can't resolve 'vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com'
nslookup: can't resolve 'vortex-win.data.microsoft.com'
system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 104 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.

This router has OpenVPN set for all traffic. I ran the debug tool. But with the updated version, there is too much info out there that I do not want seen for public consumption.

Finished updating ab-solution to 3.8.1 and rerun of privacy-filter on the 3rd router installed at the school:
Code:
system: Privacy Filter (ipv4) loaded 113 unique ip addresses that will be rejected from contacting your router.

Last edited:
ok @Xentrk , lets focus on the router you dont get good results on, cause the other ones are getting the expected numbers.

if you dont want the debuglog in open send in pm, ive limited this too my scrips only and how they start.

Mind telling whats too revealing with that debuglog perhaps that can be changed.

Last edited: