What's new

Problem connecting to internet with openVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geeum

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I have issues when connecting to the internet using a VPN.
My provider, Vanished VPN (https://www.vanishedvpn.com.au) provided me with a .ovpn file that I loaded as one of my VPN clients (client 3 as you can see in the screenshots below).
Everything works fine and the VPN seems to connect. That being said, I can't seem to connect to the internet.
I've researched here and tried a lot of things but no luck. Help!

Couple things to note:
- If I load the .ovpn file onto tunnelblick on my mac, it works perfectly so the VPN account is fine
- I tried playing with DNS (dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8) and compression (comp-lzo no and push "comp-lzo no") but no luck
- in the service state line, once I turn the VPN 'ON' I get: Connected (Local: 10.137.54.206 - Public: unknown).
- in the custom config part, there used to be only the first line (resolv-retry infinite). The lines after that were added by me as a result of my googling of an answer and my experimentation

Screenshot_2018_09_11_05_28_08.png

Screenshot_2018_09_11_05_28_22.png

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Maybe try TLS control channel security : Outgoing Auth(1)

any warnings in syslog when connecting?

From my Custom Configuration:
remote-random
mute-replay-warnings
replay-window 256
remote-cert-tls server
pull
resolv-retry infinite
fast-io
auth-nocache
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"
mssfix

Last edited:
I'll give it a try.
Do you recommend I scratch my custom config and copy yours?

Other question, I'm a bit confused with
dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8
vs
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"

Am I supposed to do both? I've seen tutorials where they just say to do the former.

From my Custom Configuration:
remote-random
mute-replay-warnings
replay-window 256
remote-cert-tls server
pull
resolv-retry infinite
fast-io
auth-nocache
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"
mssfix
Could you please add a shord description for all this commands? Thank you so much!

I'll give it a try.
Do you recommend I scratch my custom config and copy yours?

Other question, I'm a bit confused with
dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8
vs
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.8.8"

Am I supposed to do both? I've seen tutorials where they just say to do the former.

OK, no go. I tried with Outgoing Auth(1) and the same custom configuration as you, and also with my configuration.

Last edited:
OK, no go. I tried with Outgoing Auth(1) and the same custom configuration as you, and also with my configuration.

Ok what happens in syslog when connecting? Maybe increase Verbosity to 5 get more info if needed
Try different server from Vanished VPN if possible and see if the same thing happens

Keys and Certificates in VPN client page do you have -Static Key- and -Certificate Authority-?
Checked Vanished VPN setup guide abit..
ovpn-file.gif
does your file look like that?
Your Server Address and Port in VPN client settings should look more like in the picture

Last edited:
I had the same problem with express vpn, no public IP address. I noticed on mine that the compression had been disabled, when I changed it to LZO auto my public IP address reappeared. Having said that something has changed again with the recent .ovpn from express vpn as it now works when the compression is disabled

Try with DNS mode set to "Exclusive". Leave the other settings to what the ovpn file sets them - I assume their config file is correct.

I had the same problem with express vpn, no public IP address. I noticed on mine that the compression had been disabled, when I changed it to LZO auto my public IP address reappeared. Having said that something has changed again with the recent .ovpn from express vpn as it now works when the compression is disabled

Following a recent security issue found with OpenVPN compression, some providers have started disabling it on their end, requiring clients to also update their configuration.

Also be sure to check that you downloaded an OVPN file that is designed to run on the router. I know that some VPN providers offer files for different OS.

Another thing to check is be sure that you are not exceeding the number of instances of VPN clients that you subscribed for. If you are running a client on on phone and you only paid for a single instance then you won't be able to start a second client on your router.

Also...do you have an active VPN server on the router using port 1194?

OK I figured it out by playing with settings.
What changed from those screenshots:
Accept DNS configuration: disabled
Compression: None
Custom config:
resolv-retry infinite
comp-lzo no
push "comp-lzo no"

I still don't get a public address but I can connect and reach pages OK. "Where's my IP" gives me the correct country.

Thanks guys