What's new

Problems with ESP8266 devices using Merlin (RT-AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Since you asked about it, did you have any tasmota specific solution? Because I'm running tasmota and having connection problems after a power cycle of tasmota devices

I made a lot of changes to my setup so I can’t say for certain what fixed the issue, but my setup has been running solid since.

On the devices; static IPs (including gateway and DNS) and sleep set to 250 in my case.

On the router; reserved IPs, 2.4 fixed channel (using the least crowded / most appropriate channel in your setup), 20(not 40)MHz, short preamble, TX bursting turned off, all 2.4 beam forming off.

All devices worked well except for one which got sorted after a reflash. All devices are on tasmota 8 (Doris) currently, zero issues.

Not sure which version you’re on, but tasmota has now defaulted to turning off mdns for discovery. Might want to have a look at that setting as well and see if that helps.

Hopefully all this results in a stable setup for you too. Good luck. :)

I made a lot of changes to my setup so I can’t say for certain what fixed the issue, but my setup has been running solid since.

On the devices; static IPs (including gateway and DNS) and sleep set to 250 in my case.

On the router; reserved IPs, 2.4 fixed channel (using the least crowded / most appropriate channel in your setup), 20(not 40)MHz, short preamble, TX bursting turned off, all 2.4 beam forming off.

All devices worked well except for one which got sorted after a reflash. All devices are on tasmota 8 (Doris) currently, zero issues.

Not sure which version you’re on, but tasmota has now defaulted to turning off mdns for discovery. Might want to have a look at that setting as well and see if that helps.

Hopefully all this results in a stable setup for you too. Good luck. :)

Thank you, I shall try it this weekend!
Did you also experience troubles reconnecting after a power cycle of tasmota devices?
My solution is tedious but basically rebooting my router fixes all connection issues from tasmota. Not a sustainable solution..

Did you also experience troubles reconnecting after a power cycle of tasmota devices?
My solution is tedious but basically rebooting my router fixes all connection issues from tasmota. Not a sustainable solution..
Just for your info, in my case it is sufficient to turn off the 2.4 for few seconds and switch is again on for having all my SONOFF Tasmota connected without the need to reboot the device.
Of course it is not a solution but it might halp in understanding what is the issue with Tasmota devices considering that all others are well connecting without any issue.

Yup, had more than a few devices behaving that way until the change of settings sorted them out (except for that one recalcitrant device.)

As @miazza pointed out, it’ll probably be helpful to understand what exactly is causing the issues; his suggestion to try just toggling the radio is a good one, it’ll help narrowing down the issue. Pretty sure it’s something specific to the wireless setup if all your tasmota devices are behaving that way.

As suggested on GitHub we can try lowering the DHCP lease time to 5 minutes.
Again it is not a solution but will help in better locate the issue.

I will test next week but if someone can do it before ...

Hi,
I've had the same issue, and posted my solution here:
https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/issues/7770#issuecomment-591971563
I hope it works out for you too!
Additonally:
Channel bandwidth: 20 MHz
Control channel: 1 (FIX it otherwise it keeps jumping to find a "clear" one and that might cause issues too I'm afraid - not sure though)
Protected management frames: capable

LAN/DHCP server: no manual assignment, no DNSFilter
Tools/Other Settings:
Memory management - YES
Firewall IPV6 - NO
WAN local caching - NO
Disable AsusNat tunnel - YES
dhcpd: send empty WPAD -YES

I recently upgraded all my routers to 384.16 and started having issues with my wifi being very "laggy", could't work out what the problem with and initially thought one of my kids was hogging all the bandwidth.
After some research I found this article and tried all of the suggested changes to the wifi settings etc, nothing seems to help.
I am running stock firmware on the Sonoffs.
I have 1 x RT-AC88U & 3 x RT-AC68U in a mesh and was running 384.16.
I subsequently downgraded everything back to 384.15 and it seems to have sorted the majority of the disconnects out, where I was getting one every 5-10 seconds I am now down to one every 2-3 minutes.

I have 20 "Sonoffs - S20" and "Shelly 1" with ESP CHip and all work perfect on 2.4ghz wlan core.

No disconnects and no lags with this.
When the wlan frequenzys is not correct then the Sonoffs disconnect or not watch in wlan auth and deauth seqeuenz.

I have no issue with the new version of asus merlin wrt and my esp smarthome things.

Update: The ESP chip is very very hard to find the right wlan and when no good connection then suspend the function of connecting.

I recently upgraded all my routers to 384.16 and started having issues with my wifi being very "laggy", could't work out what the problem with and initially thought one of my kids was hogging all the bandwidth.
After some research I found this article and tried all of the suggested changes to the wifi settings etc, nothing seems to help.
I am running stock firmware on the Sonoffs.
I have 1 x RT-AC88U & 3 x RT-AC68U in a mesh and was running 384.16.
I subsequently downgraded everything back to 384.15 and it seems to have sorted the majority of the disconnects out, where I was getting one every 5-10 seconds I am now down to one every 2-3 minutes.
I can suggest to modify the sonoff FW and flash a Tasmota 8.2.
I solved all my issues !

I have 2 x AC86u (router and AP) Tasmota is the newest version (8.2.0.5) but problem is also with espeasy.
Code:
May  3 15:09:48 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(420): eth5: Auth 5C:CF:7F:58:47:C9, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
May  3 15:09:48 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(449): eth5: Assoc 5C:CF:7F:58:47:C9, status: 0, reason: d11 RC reserved (0)
May  3 15:09:56 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(401): eth5: Disassoc 5C:CF:7F:58:47:C9, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
May  3 15:09:56 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth5: Deauth_ind 5C:CF:7F:58:47:C9, status: 0, reason: Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station (6)
May  3 15:09:56 wlceventd: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(386): eth5: Deauth_ind 5C:CF:7F:58:47:C9, status: 0, reason: Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station (6)

I tried all possible settings and advise found in internet and this forum. Only restart WiFi helps.
Fixed channel 6 (I tried other also) Channel bandwidth 20MHz (also tried other options).
Airtime Fairness
Multi-User MIMO
Explicit Beamforming

Universal Beamforming
all disabled.

Any other ideas I could test?

I had this same issue with Tasmotized gadgets a while back, and ultimately just bought a few cheap WiFi extenders for 8266 things to connect to. Turned RF power down to minimize interference, and everything worked swimmingly.

Just last week, while doing an unrelated experiment, I connected a Tasmotized LED controller to Merlin WiFi without thinking, and realized it was staying connected, and even reconnecting after a reboot. I tried my other couple dozen gadgets one at a time, and everything seems to work. Now the extenders are disconnected, and everything connects to the main WiFi except Amazon Fire and Alexa devices, which get segregated.

Some settings had been tweaked, but I dunno what I changed to make everything work. If it helps, attached is my config.

It is easy to get addicted to taking gadgets out of the cloud, right? I have been buying crap we have NO use for, just because it is fun to flash. That smug feeling of privacy. But really, a WiFi enabled essential oil diffuser? Yeah.

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_201823.jpg
    IMG_20200527_201823.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20200527_201734.jpg
    IMG_20200527_201734.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 314
I have the feeling that most of the issues are related to the wifi extender with Tasmota devices.
I have now filtered all the Tasmota MacAddress for not connecting to any wifi extender and all the items are well and reliably connected.

But really, a WiFi enabled essential oil diffuser? Yeah.

But a Wifi enabled oil diffuser would go well with a Rockwell Retro Encabulator!!:D

Jokes aside, messing about with "smart" gear has thought me a lot. Flashing, chasing down bugs etc has allowed me a better understanding of my network and networking in general. I better understand how to isolate devices and chase down misbehaving gear and there's always so much more to learn. :)

I can understand the frustration if things don't work as expected, I suppose that's half the fun for tinkerers like me. YMMV.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!