What's new

QCA (Qualcom Atheros) vs Broadcom vs Quantenna vs ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QCA vs Broadcom vs Quantenna vs ?

• Quantenna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Realtek

• Other (Please specify)

• Total voters
I've had excellent success with QCA and Broadcom. That said, playing with a QCA AC2350 MU:MIMO chipset now (at least, I think it is QCA. I haven't taken the thing apart to check) and the 2.4GHz implementation seems to be having performance problems. I am only hitting 11.5MB/sec 2.4GHz 20MHz and 24MB/sec 40MHz on downlink. Uplink is just fine and the 5GHz band is very good on uplink and downlink (these are all 2:2 to an Intel 7260ac and close range. Medium/long range performance is pretty comparable on both bands and up/down).

By comparison, I have a C5 and C8 TP-Link Archer and I have tested an 11ac Netgear or two and all can hit around 13.5MB/sec or so on 2.4GHz 20MHz and about 28MB/sec 40MHz operation. So the fact that the router/chipset is hitting roughly 20% less is troubling/odd, but I haven't heard much from the manufacturer about what might be up.

It depends on your clients. QTN has been working flawlessly for me, however I don't have any Apple device, which are known to be problematic with QTN.

My Nexus 4 always had issues on the 5 GHz band unless I disable beamforming, and that was both with Broadcom and QTN. So the issue in this case lies with the client itself.

So unfortunately, there's no one-size-fit-all answer to which one is the "best".

I've had pretty good luck with Broadcom, QC/Atheros, and Marvell - they're pretty well supported.

Ralink/Realtek - sometimes good, sometimes not so good

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!