What's new

ZenWiFi XT9 - 2 guest mesh networks w/ assigns IPs - Possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makeitallwork

Occasional Visitor
Setup:
- ZenWiFi XT9 w/ 3 XD5 for added coverage

Ideal configuration:
1) Primary Mesh network for limited devices w/ assigned IP addresses (no problem)
2) Guest Mesh network for Airbnb guests (no problem)
3) Guest Mesh network for IoT devices w/ assigned IP addresses (ISSUE)

ISSUE1: It seems Asus only allows Guest Network 1 to operate as a mesh network? The option to enable "Guest network on AiMesh" is not available for Guest Network 2 and 3? Am I missing something?

ISSUE2: I can assign IP addresses for the Main Network and Guest Network 2 (non-mesh), but the assigned IP addresses seem to be ignored for Guest Network 1.

QUESTIONS:
- Am I understanding the Asus limitations correctly?
- Anyway for me to implement my ideal configuration? (Running scripts and modifying the router firmware is probably outside my ability)
- Seems its best for IoT devices to have a fixed IP address. If the limitations above are correct, I assume the IoT devices should go on my Primary Mesh network vs Guest Network1?

Thank you!

Setup:
- ZenWiFi XT9 w/ 3 XD5 for added coverage

Ideal configuration:
1) Primary Mesh network for limited devices w/ assigned IP addresses (no problem)
2) Guest Mesh network for Airbnb guests (no problem)
3) Guest Mesh network for IoT devices w/ assigned IP addresses (ISSUE)

ISSUE1: It seems Asus only allows Guest Network 1 to operate as a mesh network? The option to enable "Guest network on AiMesh" is not available for Guest Network 2 and 3? Am I missing something?

ISSUE2: I can assign IP addresses for the Main Network and Guest Network 2 (non-mesh), but the assigned IP addresses seem to be ignored for Guest Network 1.

QUESTIONS:
- Am I understanding the Asus limitations correctly?
- Anyway for me to implement my ideal configuration? (Running scripts and modifying the router firmware is probably outside my ability)
- Seems its best for IoT devices to have a fixed IP address. If the limitations above are correct, I assume the IoT devices should go on my Primary Mesh network vs Guest Network1?

Thank you!

Only guest wireless 1 can be propagated to mesh nodes. The other two will run on the main router only.

Guest 1 IPs can't be reserved, the whole range of 2 through 254 is set aside for dynamic assignment. You can configure a client with static IPs on the client itself but you risk conflicts occuring from time to time, not a good idea.

The pro series routers will do what you want, or stepping up to semi pro brands or your own PFSense router.

The XT9 is "XT8 Pro" and the "Pro" stuff goes to the next level of firmware which has much more extensive Software Defined Network capability, evidently. Asus has already "gone there" with their business-class version of the XT9. Even if they don't provide that-level firmware for it (XT9), much can be gleaned...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!