What's new

QOS greatly slows my FIOS 1gb connection no matter what setting.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demoncamber

New Around Here
So I've been trying to diagnose why once I go through my AC68R router my 1gbps fios speeds are down to 6xxMbps Down and 6xxMbps Up. I've finally narrowed it down to QOS. If I turn QOS off completely, I'll get advertised speeds of 1GB up and down. However, between Adaptive and the even worse "traditional QOS" settings (that will give me 2xxMbps up and down) I get reduced speeds, until I disable QOS completely. This happens even when setting the bandwidth manually to 1000 up and down.

Anyone have an insight about this? Is this a known issue, do I need to RMA my router or what?

That's about the speed you can expect out of these CPUs. QoS is CPU-intensive, you'd need something much more powerful to get 1 Gbps with working QoS.

Dosent QoS require CTF also to be shut off? That would kick speed in the nuts with anything over around 200Mb

Dosent QoS require CTF also to be shut off? That would kick speed in the nuts with anything over around 200Mb
CTF is the hardware acceleration for adaptive qos.

Adaptive QoS supports CTF. When I benchmarked it a few years ago, I was getting around 600 Mbps with it.

That's about the speed you can expect out of these CPUs. QoS is CPU-intensive, you'd need something much more powerful to get 1 Gbps with working QoS.

Can you recommend a router that could deliver 1Gbps using QOS? Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you recommend a router that could deliver 1Gbps using QOS? Thanks a lot

No idea, sorry. If I needed that kind of performance, I'd probably build a PC to handle it. Or I would probably just forget about QoS, because saturating a 1 Gbps pipe would pretty difficult to begin with.

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead.

@RMerlin I'm currently using a RT-AC68R (BCM4708) with latest merlin FW (384.6) and have enabled QOS (adaptive). I'm currently overcloaking this router to 1200/800mhz. My advertise speeds thru comcast are 150/5mbps.

My average speed when QOS is enabled is 115/5 mpbs.

However, once I turn off adaptive QOS, I'm able to get my advertise speeds (plus some extra) and get between 165-179/6mpbs.

When I looked under the Tools it does show CTF is enabled. I know this router should be capable of doing 300-500mbps correct? Is this normal that my router can't get close to advertise speeds with QOS enabled? Do you recommend not OC and go back to 1ghz? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Check your processor info by logging into the router and running

cat /proc/cpuinfo

and noting the bogomips values. At 1200 overclock, it should read just under 2400 on each CPU.

Some recent firmware started preventing overclocking. I didn't think the AC68 was affected, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

Check your processor info by logging into the router and running

cat /proc/cpuinfo

and noting the bogomips values. At 1200 overclock, it should read just under 2400 on each CPU.

Some recent firmware started preventing overclocking. I didn't think the AC68 was affected, but it doesn't hurt to double check.
Thanks for the reponse. The bogomips value for both reflect 2398.61...any ideas how I can get my advertise speeds with QOS enabled?