What's new

QOS needed in a bridge/repeater network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

careh

New Around Here
I have a WRT54G V3 router at home with the 'special edition' paid version of DD-WRT. It works great for limiting bandwidth access for specific MAC addresses.

At a summer camp where there are both bandwidth and distance /terrain issues (hilly, rocky with trees) I had thought about using 3 Linksys Cisco E2000 routers (that I bought for cheap) running DD-WRT with the primary Internet connected router running DD-WRT 'Special Edition' for QOS and the other 2 routers running in bridge repeater mode to propagate the signal over the 400 foot area which is hilly with rocks and trees.

Trouble is - DD-WRT does not offer the 'Special Edition' for the E2000 router.

My question is whether I could use a WRT54G or other router that does run the 'Special Edition' version of DD-WRT then use two of the E2000 routers in bridge/repeater mode.

The DD-WRT 'Special Edition' supports mainly WRT54G routers - but also supports some Buffalo routers. From what I have read the Buffalo routers are in some aspects better than the Linksys routers. So I am wondering if I should get a Buffalo as the primary router (the one that would run QOS).

This page lists all the routers the DD-WRT 'Special Edition' supports: http://www.dd-wrt.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31

All we need at the summer camp is 'G' speed - and we want to limit the campers to a lower bandwidth while leaving the office staff to get full bandwidth. Internet access is via satellite.

Last edited: