What's new

QoS not working on latest version 386.3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's not working. I've already tried it. The rules won't work properly or at all. As I stated on previous post, it's a hit or miss.. sometimes it works, but most of the times it doesn't and it completely bypasses the rules altogether.
I'm confused. First you said it wasn't working properly, then you said "that works ok for me", now you're saying it doesn't work.

My point is that Traditional QoS is working in John's firmware. Are we talking about different things here?

I'm confused. First you said it wasn't working properly, then you said "that works ok for me", now you're saying it doesn't work.

My point is that Traditional QoS is working in John's firmware.
Sorry for the confusion.. .Traditional Qos does work as long as I don't set any rules and just use a min/max speeds for all devices. The moment I start using the rules and setting different speeds based on priority, those don't work.

Sorry for the confusion.. .Traditional Qos does work as long as I don't set any rules and just use a min/max speeds for all devices. The moment I start using the rules and setting different speeds based on priority, those don't work.
Are you talking about stock firmware, Merlin's firmware or John's firmware?

I believe Asuswrt is based on Tomato. @RMerlin is the person who knows best what is needed for Cake to work.

freshtomato changelog: https://bitbucket.org/pedro311/fres...c8c0e5fe586b94a70e1c6bd88e10a6f651d/CHANGELOG
- QoS: statistics and classification not available in Cake mode
- kernel/kernel sdk7: backport CAKE SQM scheduler and needed kernel functions
- GUI: implement GUI and nvram variables for CAKE AQM QoS
- iproute2: tc: cross-port cake support to tc from tc-adv project

Last edited:
What I mean is.. this
As I keep saying, this is working in John's firmware. John implemented his own version of it and I tested it extensively.
Where can I find instructions on how to install this?
is this an addon or a completely different firmware?

the first video that appears on youtube and I think this is the only way you can install the firmware from john or tomato

Thanks.. I know how to flash Tomato on this router...so you're saying in order to use John's Qos, it has to be in Tomato?
If that's the case, then I won't do that.. I like Tomato, In fact I have several routers using FreshTomato and it's really great...but my main router, I prefer Merlin.

If that's the case, then I won't do that..

Mr. ColinTaylor provided a link for you, twice:

Thank you.. Im just trying to understand what this "John fork" is.. is it a completely different firmware or does it run along side with Merlin?

Just follow the link and read the information. It's an Asuswrt-Merlin fork by @john9527.
I read it. If I install that, will I still get firmware updates when Merlin has an update? and will I have to reinstall John's fork after every asuswrt update?
Sorry for the noob questions, but I've never done this john fork thing before.

I install that, will I still get firmware updates when Merlin has an update?

@john9527 is a trusted developer on SNB and he provides the updates, based on current Asuswrt-Merlin development. He also provides own issue fixes, if needed. Read carefully what is included in this fork (version) of Asuswrt-Merlin and what is not.

I'm in doubt Cake is working with AC68U kernel. Asuswrt-Merlin also offers Cake, but not for all router models.
Somebody did a fork of Freshtomato and and made a kernel patch set (pretty BIG) so that the old AC68 kernel could support Cake. If anyone is really interested, I have the link somewhere.

Thank you, @john9527! Can we eventually use this patch? It will give AC68U users more QoS options. Looking at Asuswrt-Merlin download stats, AC68U and variants are still the most popular Asuswrt-Merlin compatible routers.

Thank you, @john9527! Can we eventually use this patch? It will give AC68U users more QoS options. Looking at Asuswrt-Merlin download stats, AC68U and variants are still the most popular Asuswrt-Merlin compatible routers.
I wonder if @RMerlin or @john9527 would consider doing this type of modification because it relies too much on changing the kernel. As I recall, neither like to mess too much with changes involved at the kernel level.