What's new

Question About Extending WiFi Network & Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djtech2k

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus AC68U running Merlin Build Firmware:376.47 as my main router in my 3-stoory home. That device is in my basement office with all of my other equipment. I noticed the signal getting low with about 1 bar of wifi in certain areas of my top floor so I setup some other wifi routers as "extenders". For example, on the top floor I have an Asus RT-N12 setup with DD-WRT. It is plugged in via ethernet to a LAN drop on the top floor. It is setup as its own wifi hotspot with DHCP Forwarder turned on, so DHCP is still handled by the main AC6800. I have another setup in much the same way on the middle floor.

This works, but I have a couple issues that I'd like to solve. First, I hate that I have 3 separate wifi networks to connect to. I wish it were the same wifi so it is less confusing for people that use it and I do not have to explain to people how to use it. Another thing that I would like to solve, although I do not know if its related to this setup, is sometimes poor performance. I do not mean signal, but I notice that sometimes things run slower than I expect. Things like copying files between devices on the LAN or sometimes even streaming from the internet seem to be slower than I would expect. Its not my internet because I have tested it and it happens on stuff that doesn't touch the internet. The only thing I can guess is that maybe the CPU/resources on the main AC6800 are saturated. So my second question is how I can increase performance. Again, this may not be a design issue or something else.

For my own home I configure the Wi-Fi SSID and password to be the same on each of my WAPs. Perhaps I’m just lucky but my devices seems to connect or the the stronger signal without any hassle.