What's new

Question about RT-AC5300 power supply plug

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychopomp1

Hi,
Thinking of getting an RT-AC5300 but want to avoid buying it from UK due to rip off prices compared to our European neighbours and friends across the pond in America. My question is if i was to buy this from say Germany or even USA does it comes with multiple plug adaptors, including a 3 pin UK adaptor? I believe the RT-AC88 if bought anywhere in Europe (and USA?) comes with multiple plugs including 3 pin UK so wondering if the same applies to the RT-AC5300.
Cheers

Don't buy your router from a different country (especially not from another continent), as the bootloader is hardcoded for the region where you purchase it from.

Also , buying from the USA will make you cry a lot. Customs and Excise will add duty,VAT and a large handling fee which will make the router at least £75 more expensive.

Don't buy your router from a different country (especially not from another continent), as the bootloader is hardcoded for the region where you purchase it from.
Appreciate what you're saying but I plan on installing HGG's custom fw on the AC5300 which will allow me to change the regional settings (eg wifi channel selection) to UK/EU in order to meet local legal requirements.

Also , buying from the USA will make you cry a lot. Customs and Excise will add duty,VAT and a large handling fee which will make the router at least £75 more expensive.
Have bought many routers from USA and never been charged a single penny in customs/VAT by UK authorities. That's because they are sent as 'gift' from a friend/relative in USA and value declared as $10....as a second hand, clapped out router :)

Appreciate what you're saying but I plan on installing HGG's custom fw on the AC5300 which will allow me to change the regional settings (eg wifi channel selection) to UK/EU in order to meet local legal requirements.

Maybe you should read again what Merlin said ........ the bootloader ( which is separate from the firmware ) is hardcoded .

Maybe you should read again what Merlin said ........ the bootloader ( which is separate from the firmware ) is hardcoded .
Ok, if the bootloader is hard coded into routers (any brand) based on region, how does this affect installation of non-official fw? I bought my Linksys EA8500 from USA, had no problems installing DD-WRT on this. I bought my Asus AC87R (bestbuy model) from USA and again had no problems installing HG Gomes' fw.

Ok after reading a few reviews of this on Amazon UK, it appears the UK version of the AC5300 comes with both UK and euro plug adaptors which suggests there's just one version of this router sold in EU hence there's no reason why it shouldn't come with a UK plug if bought anywhere in EU.

I've noticed the price of the RT-AC5300 on Amazon.fr has come down to €351 from €410....this is an excellent price considering that Amazon UK are selling this for £389 (€447) and Amazon Germany for €437. So i've taken the plunge and bought it from Amazon France for ~ £310 delivered to UK. It would have been even cheaper had the right wing loons in UK not voted to leave EU as the pound fell sharply against the euro post brexit vote and hasn't recovered since.

Anyway I look forward to installing HG Gomes' firmware on the router so that I can play around with the advanced settings on this beast <rubs hands in glee> ;)

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B018WJUGA4/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!